Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Firearm

User

Default Stolen Firearm

Good day all,

I was busy updating my Insurance policy when I noticed that I have added my Firearms on as part of my Insurance... This made me wonder, what will happen if my Firearm get stolen/taken from me? Do they call this neglegance and do not pay out, or how does this work?

Also, have anyone had any experience in this matter? What happened after and were you able to get a new FA when the Insurance paid out?

Would be nice to hear your stories/suggestions.

W

User

Default Re: Stolen Firearm

Would the outcome of the insurance pay out not be linked to a police investigation?

I think that if your guns are insured under the all risk section of the policy they would be covered.

Insurance is there to protect you against your own negligence also. By way of imperfect example, provided you do not breach your policy your insurer will pay for the damage to your vehicle, even if it were your fault.

Would they pay if your cellphone got stolen?
    Last edited by SSP; 09-01-2014 at 15:23.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

That's why I am asking. What will happen in this case?

Scenario 1:
    I am driving in my car on my way to work and stop and a traffic light. A BG points an AK in my face through the window of my car, forcing me to get out. There is no time to grab my FA underneath my seat so I surrender and get out and he speads off with my car, including my FA. Will the Insurance pay out the FA? Will I ever be able to get a new FA approved through SAPS?

Scenario 2: I am at a friends house having a Braai. 40 armed gunmen jumps over the wall and burgal the crap out of us, including taking my FA from me. I am not at my place, but have my SD FA on me. Will this be seen as neglegance? Will the Insurance pay out the FA? Will I be able to get a License approved through SAPS?

Scenario 3: I take a Pee in a public toilet, placing my FA on the flush bowl. I forget my FA there and walk out. 10 minutes later when I return to look for my FA it's gone. Is this seen as "Stolen" if it's not taken to the nearest SAPS within the next 2 hours or so? Is this the called neglegance? Will the insurance pay out and will I be able to get a new FA License approved through SAPS?

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    I think that if your guns are insured under the all risk section of the policy they would be covered.

Insurance is there to protect you against your own negligence also. By way of imperfect example, provided you do not breach your policy your insurer will pay for the damage to your vehicle, even if it were your fault.

Ok, say lets leave the Insurance out of this for a while, what will happen at SAPS? Will I be able to get a FA Approved or will I be "flagged"?

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post

Hi SSP,

When you loose your FA due to negligence for example: You do not have a car safe installed in your car and your car gets stolen from a shopping mall parking area would the insurance still pay out?

1 and 2 - I see no reason why your insurance wouldn't pay and why you wouldn't get another gun. Provided its insured under all risk.

3 - that is not theft. Its plain gross negligence. Insurance may or not pay depending on the policy, probably not though. As to whether or not you will get another gun - I hope not.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by WiaanLR View Post
    Ok, say lets leave the Insurance out of this for a while, what will happen at SAPS? Will I be able to get a FA Approved or will I be "flagged"?
    If you lost a gun through negligence I would hope that you wouldn't get another. Losing a gun and having a gun stolen at gunpoint are very different things.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Hi SSP,

When you loose your FA due to negligence for example: You do not have a car safe installed in your car and your car gets stolen from a shopping mall parking area would the insurance still pay out?
    Depends on your insurer and your policy.
    Havamal

User

Just did this yesterday. At home the guns should be covered under your householders section. Just make sure you are adequately covered.

If you want cover away from home. Ie at the range for theft and accidental damages you have to specify them under the all risks section of your policy and pay accordingly. Most companies will not cover them under non specified all risks.

As for the company paying, that depends on the wording if your policy. If you have an alarm warranty and don't activate the alarm, and your guns get taken from home, I doubt they will pay.

If your alarm is on, and your safe unlocked, I suspect the issues with SAPS will far outweigh issues with your insurance company. All conditions should be listed in your policy document.

Chat to your broker. He should give you the answers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast