Where are you Baksteen - I have a spare canvas one. Mahala, PM me

Default Re: .303 accuracy improvement

Hello, in EL. Sent you pm.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Apologies for getting side tracked.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Hi. Must say there is a ton of information about getting better accuracy on a .303. like I said in my introduction jokingly but also seriously that my rifle doesn’t want group. PMP is all over the target at 100m.

Then started reloading. Eventually went through the whole proces of fire forming, neck sizing and loading with S335 and CCI primers and PMP points, result was not satisfactory with varios loads. At a whim bought Peregrine(very expensive excercise).

100 meters was getting 2 shots almost touching and the third climbing lef and up. Maybe not waiting for the barrel to cool down enough.

Was only testing at 100 meters nothing more, did not trust the load any further.

Going to the range to fireform S&B cases, got about 5” group with 5 shots. was intereesting however at 200 meters the group went smaller to about 3”. Thought “what the heck?”

Had 3 Peregrine loaded rounds so shot at 200 meter and got 40 mm grouping. Now I was screwed not knowing what to do.

Researched more and decided I am going to do Ladder and OCW and then take it from there.

Checking the site for info found the video on barrel harmonics searching for info on ladder testing. The fellow in the video mentioned that older rifles had a spring loaded screw in the wood stock forward of the chamber which was used to move the node on the barrel which most people did not know what is was for. When they sporterised the rifle, which my father did almost 30 years ago, that screw was removed and thrown away.

So thanks for all the info, it has guided me in a direction to get my .303 back on track.

One more point, a fellow told me that the .303 prefers a bullet with a flat base and not a boat tail. Looking to buy new brand to start with. Will check out Huntex and see what is available.

Any opinions?

My mk4 no1 shoots Sierra pro hunter 180 gr reloads in moa. Try them. they are flat based. I think the velocity is around 2150 to 2200. Deadly combo for bushveld hunting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie Wilkinson View Post
    Hi. Must say there is a ton of information about getting better accuracy on a .303. like I said in my introduction jokingly but also seriously that my rifle doesn’t want group. PMP is all over the target at 100m.

Then started reloading. Eventually went through the whole proces of fire forming, neck sizing and loading with S335 and CCI primers and PMP points, result was not satisfactory with varios loads. At a whim bought Peregrine(very expensive excercise).

100 meters was getting 2 shots almost touching and the third climbing lef and up. Maybe not waiting for the barrel to cool down enough.

Was only testing at 100 meters nothing more, did not trust the load any further.

Going to the range to fireform S&B cases, got about 5” group with 5 shots. was intereesting however at 200 meters the group went smaller to about 3”. Thought “what the heck?”

Had 3 Peregrine loaded rounds so shot at 200 meter and got 40 mm grouping. Now I was screwed not knowing what to do.

Researched more and decided I am going to do Ladder and OCW and then take it from there.

Checking the site for info found the video on barrel harmonics searching for info on ladder testing. The fellow in the video mentioned that older rifles had a spring loaded screw in the wood stock forward of the chamber which was used to move the node on the barrel which most people did not know what is was for. When they sporterised the rifle, which my father did almost 30 years ago, that screw was removed and thrown away.

So thanks for all the info, it has guided me in a direction to get my .303 back on track.

One more point, a fellow told me that the .303 prefers a bullet with a flat base and not a boat tail. Looking to buy new brand to start with. Will check out Huntex and see what is available.

Any opinions?
    Mine loves Hornady 174gr Round Nose bullets. They are also .312 in diameter as opposed to the .311 of other brands.

Thanks flincher and phillip, Sierra was one recommended. I want to try the Hornady round nose but in Rustenburg nobody stocks it. Will have a look see at Huntex if I can pick up any

Quote Originally Posted by philipjordaan10 View Post
    Mine loves Hornady 174gr Round Nose bullets. They are also .312 in diameter as opposed to the .311 of other brands.
    Another vote for the Hornday RN - It is the only bullet that my rifle (No4 Mk1) likes.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5