Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Buying a rifle for my girls - Info and guidance required on stock configuration.

Very nice Moomin ! I bet your wife is busy sewing back your shirt's buttons right now I would also be very proud. I can't wait to teach my boy. Enjoy taking them on their first hunt when the time is right

User

Default Re: Buying a rifle for my girls - Info and guidance required on stock configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Very nice Moomin ! I bet your wife is busy sewing back your shirt's buttons right now I would also be very proud. I can't wait to teach my boy. Enjoy taking them on their first hunt when the time is right
    Thanks killzone. Indeed I'm proud.
    My wife, Sew anything? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

User

The first big hunting weekend has now come and gone. It was 4 very interesting days. I learned a few things myself and made some notes on how to improve the second trip.

"Manne jag" en family hunts differ dramatically!

We arrived at the farm on Wednesday afternoon just after 5 PM. The farm is located about 25 km north west from Naboomspruit.
    Started a nice fire, sorted the sleeping arrangements, made coffee for the wife and helped to prepare supper. After supper I promptly headed back to the fire with a cold one and the kids followed with their hot Milo and marshmallows.

The next morning we were up bright and early, had our coffee and promptly moved over to the shooting range to ensure everyone still knew how to aim and were the bang switch was. Hooligan #1 & 2 both opted for my camo jackets as their normal jackets would get stuck on everything in the bush. (To the American readers and those that know - do not crucify me for mixing the uniforms )

Hooligan #1 was up first on the range and things did not go well. I gave her a break after three shots and roped in #2. #2 did well from the start and all looked perfect.
    Back to #1. Did some coaching and explained that the factors that are bugging her (wind and stance) will be the same in the veld. 3 shots later and #1 was also sorted.

We flipped a coin and it came down to #1 having the first shot in the veld.

The farm is rather large and the wildlife is not at the expected levels of previous years. So after an hour of scouting from hill tops I opted that we drive from one vantage point to another until we find the target species and then we will decide on our approach on foot. To my surprise Hooligan #1 asked to carry the rifle herself. She only carried it for about 15 minutes before I took over.

So things that went wrong for #1.
    Her confidence was a bit low after the shooting range session.
    Her stamina levels are low - luckily I had a backpack with oranges, snacks and water with me for our frequent rest breaks.
    She sounded like a baby elephant walking in the bush.
    Finding the target through the scope in the veld proved to be a challenge.
    The ear pro did not work well -
    Me: can you see them?
    #1:...
    Me:They are close, we have to move this way around.
    #1:...
    Me: ??
    #1: WHAT?

So after a quick break and a reassessment of were the impala went, we tracked them to a small valley and they were completely unaware of us. We got to about 70 m from the Impala. I found a tree that provided cover for us and doubled as a rest for her to shoot from as the tree won't move like the shooting sticks. The herd was about 35 strong and only had one big ram and many juvenile rams and ewes in between. The buggers stayed in a tight group and it took about 3 minutes worth on coaching to get her to locate a suitable candidate to shoot at.

Eventually the candidate stepped out of line and the shot was one. Unfortunately I believe she was overcome by "bok koors" at that moment and I saw her jerk the trigger and she missed. She did a quick reload as the Impala did not run more than 10 m as they did not know were the shot came from. Second shot took what felt like an eternity and she missed again. The Impala bolted and I called my dad to come and pick us up. #1 was deeply upset with herself.

So we drove around a bit and finally I spotted another herd of Impala so #2 and I left on foot for her first stalk.

#2 to my surprise did many things better than her older sister. She had more stamina. She was much more stealthy than #1 and on a few occasions did we get to within 20 m from juvenile Impala, Eland and a Giraffe. We tested the ear pro concept at the cruiser and I realised we will have the same problem as I did with #1. She also asked to walk with the rifle for a little bit.

Things that did not for #2.

She is short, more so than I sometimes realise.
    Me: Ok, can you see them?
    #2: Yes.
    Me: Do you have a clear shot?
    #2: No
    Me: what do you mean? I can see 10 of them open.
    #2: Where?
    I bend down to her level, oh wow, you only see the ears. mmmm

Quick target acquisition for her is also a struggle. Eventually she finds the intended target, then she switches over to her Jedi training.
    She takes up to 8 minutes of aiming at the intended target before committing to the shot. It felt like she was trying to Jedi mind trick the Impala into the fridge.
    Anyway, She missed.

We went back to camp for brunch and a little afternoon nap.

The second session we headed over to the camp were the Blesbok were. It is almost plains shooting and the distances were still beyond their abilities. The fact that the Bleskbok were grazing at 40 km/h + did not help either.

We headed back and helped prepare the fire for the braai. We listened to the jackals calling and an arrangement of other nocturnal creatures. My youngest told me many stories of how she went for walks with Ouma and Mom, and that she wants to take the one buffalo home with her as a pet.

Friday started early and we had to look far and wide as the weather was miserable and the wind kept on turning on us. Stalked twice but did not shoot.

On the way back to camp for brunch we heard shots and as we passed the back wall of the shooting range we found "random" people shooting.
    So, rather annoyed with the fact that someone was shooting in our direction I went to investigate. Turns out to be a friend of the farmer. He indicated that he was given permission to go and shoot a Blesbok or 2. Suits me, the kids can't hunt on that side anyway. I said the shooting range thing was not on but I got blank stares.

The afternoon session went just as bad.

Made a nice fire and spent the evening talking about how My dad and I could help the girls do better.

I woke up just before midnight from gunshots, the farmer's friend was hunting with spot lights mounted to his cruiser.

Saturday morning the weather looked great. #1 had an opportunity within the first 20 minutes. 117 m from the Impala herd. The shot sent the dust flying about 2 m to the right of the intended buck.
    I took the gun and after closer inspection I realised the rear scope mount was very loose. I was furious with myself.
    We rushed back to camp, got the equipment out and fixed the scope mounts. Went down to the range and by 9 AM we were busy loading the guns and gear back onto the cruiser ready to roll. I was sure the scope mounting was part of their problems, all will go well now.

Not to be, The guide is now telling us some random story about going to do something else and we have to wait for another guide to come, blah blah blah.
    After a brief straight discussion and some choice word selection it turns out that the farmer gave his friend permission to hunt on our side of the farm and we must relocate to the Bleskbok camp.
    Just like that.

We were not impressed. 1 quick phone call and the hunt was over. His response was: oh sorry, he did not know.

If he approached us before hand we could have made a plan - it is a big farm. We did however book the farm and should enjoy first pick. He will never see any of my money ever again.

Anyway. Even if the hooligans did not shoot their first buck I rate it was still a fun trip. They even asked when are we going to go and hunt again which I see as a positive.

Things to change for the next trip.
    1. Practise, practise, practise. Take my cousin up on his offer to take the girls warthog shooting in the mielie fields.
    2. Fit a silencer.
    3. Get new brass, bullets and a new Lot of S365 or even something else.
    4. Fix the scope mountings.
    5. Start searching now for a new venue.
    6. More practise, practise, practise.
    7. Keep it fun for them.

Banned

Story of the month! Well done and my congrats to the girls. I hope to be able to post a story like that in five or six years' time.

User

Great stuff meneer! It is a pity that the owner screwed you over.

I'm glad your hooligans enjoyed it!

What a nice write-up ! You can still be proud of your girls Moo-Pappa. Just think, somewhere in the twilight universe a Dad was taken his girls to the mall as for the owner, he knows exactly what he did, spend your money elsewhere as you said. I'm mad at him for what he did, but absolutely outraged that you named your daughters by numbers. Shame on you ! good luck with the new training

User

Thanks Gents!

Ha ha killzone. Managing 4 girls is like herding butterflies, on a good day. The three younger ones are hooligans. My young lady (14) did not go with as she had tests to prepare for and there was no Internet. Oh the horror! You should have seen Hooligan #3 (4) on the range with the .22. I could not load it fast enough for her.

At least the huntresses came back very upbeat and keen on another trip. So even with the sour ending it was fun enough to ensure a repeat outing.
    In my books, that is a victory.

User

Awesome story Moomin. Had a good chuckle on the descriptions on the interaction when they were on the sticks. (Yedi mind tricks and all)

My girls are 2 and 4 now. I cannot wait to get them into the bush on their 1st hunt.

Keep us updated on the young huntresses.

Well written and thanks for sharing.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast