Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Sierra 165gr HPBT Gameking vs Sierra 150gr Prohunter (SPT) in .308

Thought I would share my experience with others.

I have been using the Sierra 150gr Prohunter in my .308 with phenomenal success and I have converted 2 friends to do the same with equally good results. But ... I have been working on a load for the Sierra 165gr HPBT Gameking for tougher applications like large Kudus, Wildebeest and the like. Through a strange series of events I had my rifle and the 165grainers with me at a braai at my mates gamefarm and another friend of mine shot a jolly nice Impala ram with it. He pulled the shot a tad high and it went through the saddle clipping the bottom of the sirloin. I thought we would throw the sirloin away but to my great surprise that was not the case. The bullet smashed through a whole lot of bone and caused very little damage to the meat - amazing! It really is a very tough bullet and I am going to look more closely at using it. I push it with 41,5gr 335 and it runs at about 2600 fps. I will be taking a few Blacks and a Blue with it in August - that should test it properly but so far I am impressed.

Whats more is that it shoots a half inch group at 150m!

Would love to know if anyone has had a similar experience (or otherwise) with these bullets.

User

Default Re: Sierra 165gr HPBT Gameking vs Sierra 150gr Prohunter (SPT) in .308

You are already starting off slow at 2600 ft/s, so the bullet keeping intact is no surprise, at 150m it's already at 2300 ft/s.
    Have you ever played with 180 grainers in your 308 web, as the trajectory difference is very little between 165 and 180 grains.
    Regarding the accuracy, it's Sierra, so it's a given.

User

I've been toying with the idea of using Sierra Gameking's in my 243. You may have just swayed me a little more in that direction. I'm just not sure on using HPBT or SPBT bullets yet.

User

Hi Ady - I have a lot of experience with Ssierras in the 243. I have a Musgrave Vrystaat and I shoot 2 Sierra bullets depending on what is available. I shoot the 85gr HPBT Gameking at 3200fps and the 100gr Prohunter (I do not know the speed but I use 44gr 385). The Prohunter works very well but the 85gr HPBT is nothing short of phenomenal! It is a special littel bullet - just do not hit big bones because it will shatter the bone and cause lots of meat damage. It is an excellent head and neck shot bullet OR BEHIND the shoulder through the ribs. I have a 1:10 twist in my rifle and it prefers the lighter bullets but the 100grainers also shoot very tight little groups. The Prohunters are tougher then the HPBT Gamekings - I have taken Kudu and Gemsbuck with them.
    I load the 85gr with 41gr S355 and the groups clover leaf when I do not stuff it up.

If you want accuracy then shoot Sierra.

User

Messor
    The Somchem tables list 41,5gr of 335 as Max for the 308 and 2650 as max speed. The top speed for the 180 is about 2400. I am going to play with them next for whenever I do bushveld stuff.

The Sierra's in my opinion are not that tough but indeed very accurate.

Your mate was shooting at a very soft skinned and fairly delicate animal at low speeds which will prevent the full deployment of the mushrooming in the bullet which will hold it together. Sierra's must be shot slow else they breakup, that is why they are known as a long range bullet, the velocity reduces with distance obviously.

The 165gr SGK is probably the most accurate bullet I have shot in my 30-06.

SGK-180gr-A.jpgSGK-180gr-B.jpg

Above is a 180gr. SGK at 2 650fps. Impala was 20m away, quartering away from me. Aimed for the ribs to hit the heart. Bullet entered the skin, deflected along the rib cage, exited at the front of the rib cage and then into the neck where it was recovered. The bullet effectively went banana shaped on impact which caused the deflection.

I know one bullet perfomance is not a statistic.

User

Thanks Webster, I'll get some Sierra HPBT 85gr and give them a try.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Messor
    The Somchem tables list 41,5gr of 335 as Max for the 308 and 2650 as max speed. The top speed for the 180 is about 2400. I am going to play with them next for whenever I do bushveld stuff.
    Yes, but sonchem lists that with el-useless PMP cases, time for Lapua :)

User

Andrew - Sierras are tougher than people think. Especially the hollow point gameking range which has a thicker jacket and tougher alloy core. I have contacted Paul Box at Sierra at chatted at length about the hollow point hunting range. I agree that the Impala is a soft guy but the meat damage was very little indeed.
    The Prohunters are next in the line of toughness followed by the soft point gamekings which are designed for longer ranges where they will slow down before hitting the target.
    When used intelligently and within the manufacturers specs I believe that you cannot beat a Sierra for accuracy and terminal performance.
    Their bullets are world class and the vary the jacket thickness with 4 different types of alloy cores to suit whatever situation. You just have to get to know them.
    @ Messor - you make a good point. I am shooting PMC brass at the moment which is a lot more consistent than PMP. Perhaps I will buy Lapua or Norma next.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    Thanks Webster, I'll get some Sierra HPBT 85gr and give them a try.
    I will be very surprised if you are disappointed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast