Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Sierra 165gr HPBT Gameking vs Sierra 150gr Prohunter (SPT) in .308

Nico, I'll also be real keen to hear your results ...

Anyway, my hunting partner has decided to either use the Sierra 165 Gamekings or the Sierra 165 Gamekings HPBT in his 308 Win on an upcoming hunt that we're going on in November. I'll try to post feedback on how that goes if I remember.

His barrel is only 22 inches long and hence his velocities are low (about 2600), so I'm sure they'll perform perfectly ... Which was my point that I think got lost in translation.

I'll be using my 7mm Rem Mag and will go with the Partition. I just don't trust cup and core at an impact velocity anywhere north of 2700.

Anyway ... Didn't mean to ruffel feathers.

Opinions are like children, you don't mind other peoples but somehow always think yours are the best .

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Opinions are like children, you don't mind other peoples but somehow always think yours are the best .
    And grandchildren ( I mean grandbuddies)!

User

I only use 200gr spbt gamekings on my 300H&H @2700fps. Anything I have shot thus far were one shot kills. Wheight retention varied between 92 and 96%. This been said ....all shots were at fairly long ranges.

I played around with the 165gr spbt vs. 165gr hpbt in my 30-06. Dont let any sales man tell you that these are the same 2 bullets besides for the lead point on the spbt. The ogive on these two bullets are totally different. The 2 things I found while doing these tests were that the hpbt was definitly more accurate than the spbt. The hpbt also shoot atleast 8 inches higher than the spbt out to 200m. For all purposes it seems that the hpbt is a better bullet but I have heard quite a number of people complain about the hpbt breaking up on larger game. Me, myself will stick to the spbt's...they have never let me down before.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zakiwi View Post
    The only cup and core (non-bonded) bullet worth using for hunting is a Nosler Partition ...

All the rest will let you down when you drive them fast or hit something hard.

And yes I do love my Gamekings .... For the range.
    So far, this year, I've taken 208 game animals, ranging from springbok to blue wildebeest, with ordinary cup and core bullets. I won't tell you I've never lost an animal but the ones I lost were my fault (shot placement). I do use premium bullets (Barnes X, Rhino, Hornady Interbond) but mostly when pushing the envelope with a caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    And grandchildren ( I mean grandbuddies)!

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    So far, this year, I've taken 208 game animals
    Where did you take them.....Yankee.....:)

Sorry, you just sounded like an american, they took this and they took that and it all just sound ANC like, I track, stalk and shoot my animals.

208 hey, I've done more than that, also with cup and core, they all seemed to break up, though I never found one, they don't make skulls like they used to.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Ain't that the truth ...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Where did you take them.....Yankee.....:)

Sorry, you just sounded like an american, they took this and they took that and it all just sound ANC like, I track, stalk and shoot my animals.

208 hey, I've done more than that, also with cup and core, they all seemed to break up, though I never found one, they don't make skulls like they used to.
    I found a few but most exited. Maybe I'm spending too much time with foreigners.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    The Sierra Gameking bullet is the most used hunting bullet in the world ...
    Don't want to give Messor too many reasons to crow, but I was impressed by this test of the 165 Gameking:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast