Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Default Re: Hornady XTP as carry ammo

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Factory ammo is still the better SD option.
    Quick question, If "reloads" achieve the listed factory speed of c.1155 fps (115gr XTP listed on Hornady's website) while remaining within the safe pressure zone what benefits, apart from the flash suppressant used in factory ammo, will factory ammo have over self loaded ammo?

I write this assuming that Shortrailer followed a strict reloading protocol in terms of brass headstamp(new brass), same primer brand, exact same powder charge, exact same COAL with the only difference being propellant used?
    Last edited by ror123; 26-03-2018 at 11:37. Reason: added bullet details

User

Quote Originally Posted by ror123 View Post
    Quick question, If "reloads" achieve the listed factory speed of c.1155 fps (115gr XTP listed on Hornady's website) while remaining within the safe pressure zone what benefits, apart from the flash suppressant used in factory ammo, will factory ammo have over self loaded ammo?

I write this assuming that Shortrailer followed a strict reloading protocol in terms of brass headstamp(new brass), same primer brand, exact same powder charge, exact same COAL with the only difference being propellant used?
    Flash retardant propellant, better bullet technology (HST/T-series etc) and stricter QC.

Banned

The primers and bullets have also been sealed to prevent the ingress of moisture into the case

Banned

The above is very important when you are carrying every day with direct skin contact between your mags and yourself and you stay or work in a hot and humid climate

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    The primers and bullets have also been sealed to prevent the ingress of moisture into the case
    The above is very important when you are carrying every day with direct skin contact between your mags and yourself and you stay or work in a hot and humid climate
    Got it... thanks for the additional info.

User

I kinda believe this to be a moot point if you replace your carry ammo regularly as you should,

I kept a spare mag with S&B Ball (which is not sealed in any way) in my pocket for over a year and yes the rounds where discolored badly but they all shot fine.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    I kinda believe this to be a moot point if you replace your carry ammo regularly as you should,

I kept a spare mag with S&B Ball (which is not sealed in any way) in my pocket for over a year and yes the rounds where discolored badly but they all shot fine.
    Are you very sure? AFAIK S&B has always been well sealed at both the bullet and primer. The sealant colour might have changed from red to clear, but it should be there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ror123 View Post

There is a cost factor as well. To be comparable, the self-loaded SD ammo should be loaded on quality new brass. Compare the cost of all new components, case included, to the cost of factory ammo. Don't forget the cost of the ammo shot out in load development. Often, it is more expensive to assemble the ammo yourself than to buy off the shelf.

The saving derived from reloading, is achieved by re-using the case, which is usually the most expensive part of a cartridge. This is not desireable in SD ammo.

Before anyone thinks I am against carrying self-loaded ammo, let me make a confession: A couple of years ago I bought 1000 115gn XTP's and loaded them in once-fired W-W brass to 1200fps (G19) to be used as a carry load around the farm. While the primary purpose of the pistol is SD, it gets used much more frequently for dispatching all sorts of problem animals, form stray (possibly rabid) dogs to pesky vervets and even the occasional snake (where absolutely unavoidable). The supply is almost depleted now, indicating how many of them I use over time. If I had to use some premium factory SD ammo, which I sometimes do when they get old, it would have cost me considerably more. I do know that I am at a disadvantage if I were forced to use the reloads in a SD scenario. Fortunately, the ammo has a track record i.t.o. reliability and terminal performance, derived from my own use. This is a rather specialized situation. I don't carry the ammo when going to town, as I feel better served there by 127gn Ranger-T's.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Are you very sure? AFAIK S&B has always been well sealed at both the bullet and primer. The sealant colour might have changed from red to clear, but it should be there.
    Im pretty confident, i did pull a bullet and found no sealant of any sort and there is nothing on the primer, unless its super clear. This is post them ditching the red sealant on the primer as well. Sure the ammo i used in my test was 2015 manufacture.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12