Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hornady XTP as carry ammo

I have been carrying XTP's since about 1993. I tested them in wet pack back then and was impressed. Back then they were pretty state of the art. I tested 90grainers with 6.1gr MP200, velocity was 1405fps average. Expansion was good but bullets always lost jackets in wet pack. 115gr with 5.7gr MP200 averaged 1300fps which was identical the the Corbon loaded XTP +P load. Expansion was good and the jackets did not seperate. I now load the 124gr bullet with 5.3gr MP200. Have not chrono'd them but fired a couple into wet pack. Expansion is as good as the 115, jackets stay on and penetration is better than the 115's.

The above loads are all +P and show signs of pressure in my gun. Do not start there in you gun, work up from standard loads until you see pressure signs.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

The biggest issue with XTPs is that they are more prone to plugging after clothing than more modern designs. Wouldn't have an issue carrying them though ( wouldn't really have an issue with carrying ball either though not first choice but it will do)

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    The biggest issue with XTPs is that they are more prone to plugging after clothing than more modern designs. Wouldn't have an issue carrying them though ( wouldn't really have an issue with carrying ball either though not first choice but it will do)
    The point is to make a hole in the right place, ball works fine for that.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    The point is to make a hole in the right place, ball works fine for that.
    Got it in one happy0065

User

Luckily all the wet packs I shot were naked at the time. hpy71

Sean

Unfortunately, Hornady has not been keeping up well with the better top tier SD handgun ammo for the past several years. They are a rerlatively small company and probably just cannot compete price-wise for huge volume sales to LE, nor against constant R&D by the big boys. The XTP pistol bullets are behind the curve in performance compared to the Gold Dot, Golden Sabre, Ranger T, etc. but I have seen worse, too.

OTOH, Hornady has concentrated on its tactical rifle ammunition and there it IS more than competitive, even though their 5.56 pressure stuff is more expensive than several other lines. In 5.56 with 1 in 7 twist barrels, their TAP 5.56 75gr load is a winner so long as heavier barrier penetration is not desired, and their 60gr TAP 5.56 load will usually work fine in 1 in 12 twist barrels.

Here is their ballistics report on their 223, 5.56, .308 and .300 mag ammo...

http://www.hornadyle.com/_img/hornady_tap_report.pdf
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy
    Luckily all the wet packs I shot were naked at the time. hpy71

Sean
    Must not make vulgar comments.... Must not make vulgar comments....

User

Anybody care to post a tested cartridge OAL with the 115grain XTP's? I've searched on the net and found some info, but I'd like some other input on this issue.

I finally got some .355 115grain 9mm XTP's at the Skietwinkel in BFN today. R220/100 and there are a few boxes left if anybody is interested.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Anybody care to post a tested cartridge OAL with the 115grain XTP's? I've searched on the net and found some info, but I'd like some other input on this issue.

I finally got some .355 115grain 9mm XTP's at the Skietwinkel in BFN today. R220/100 and there are a few boxes left if anybody is interested.
    What is the OAL you have for the 115gr XTP Shooter? I also have some and would like to reload, do they have any 124gr's by any chance?

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post

What is the OAL you have for the 115gr XTP Shooter? I also have some and would like to reload, do they have any 124gr's by any chance?

User

I load the 115 and 124 to the same OAL. I have some 124's on me now but do not have a vernier and can't recall the measurement off hand. Will try to remember to measure and post tonight when i get home.

Sean.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast