Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Default Re: Reservist intake

Why would anyone want to join the reservists? There are NO vehicles, equipment is non-exsistent and for the first year you going to do all the admin in the charge office. ( This is not a pleasant task ) Look I'm not knocking it, but guys think before you join. Look I was a reservist for 4 years but was extremely lucky to get to work for SANAB, I worked so many hours that I decided to join the permanent force, I could of done 3 months and could of came out with 2 pips, but been who I am I did the full 6 months at the time, I was also the OLDEST cadette at 35years of age, by the time I completed College I had already written and passed my first year in National Diploma, I went straight back to a specialized unit and have not worn a uniform for 20 odd years. Next year I go on pension with 27 years service. My state vehicle is a 320i BMW which ONLY I drive. The South African Police is NOT what it used to be. There is no respect or discipline any more. There is no promotion for white officers. medical Aid is a joke, R900 housing subsidy is a joke. Think very carefully about your decision, and if its for you, do it for the right reason. Been a policeman is a CALLING.

User

Quote Originally Posted by NarcSap View Post
    Why would anyone want to join the reservists? There are NO vehicles, equipment is non-exsistent and for the first year you going to do all the admin in the charge office. ( This is not a pleasant task ) Look I'm not knocking it, but guys think before you join. Look I was a reservist for 4 years but was extremely lucky to get to work for SANAB, I worked so many hours that I decided to join the permanent force, I could of done 3 months and could of came out with 2 pips, but been who I am I did the full 6 months at the time, I was also the OLDEST cadette at 35years of age, by the time I completed College I had already written and passed my first year in National Diploma, I went straight back to a specialized unit and have not worn a uniform for 20 odd years. Next year I go on pension with 27 years service. My state vehicle is a 320i BMW which ONLY I drive. The South African Police is NOT what it used to be. There is no respect or discipline any more. There is no promotion for white officers. medical Aid is a joke, R900 housing subsidy is a joke. Think very carefully about your decision, and if its for you, do it for the right reason. Been a policeman is a CALLING.
    What makes you think those that are interested haven't thought about it, long and hard?
    I know there are a few privately sponsored vehicles (state branded) that reservists use.
    Maybe the guys here just want to make a difference in as best a way they can?

User

@ nac

We all complain the country is burning.

One person with a bucket?
    5 people ?
    100 people?
    1000 people?

If we all do nothing it will burn quickly.

No one looks at the reservist work and thinks , hey let me go work for free in a thankless job.
    Risking my family,life, career etc because I want to drive a GTI.

Or at least I'm not.

NarcSap : A lot of what you say doesn't apply to reservists. We have to work X-hours in the CSC after college (60 hours last time I went through, if memory serves) to get some experience there with the admin. Medical aid and housing have no influence on a reservist, and personally I don't feel promotions have much effect either.

It's true, equipment and uniform both seem to be issues now, vehicles probably depend on the station itself, some have, some not, some have but they're crappy etc.
    Personally, I've already started slowly building up my own duty gear anyway. I'm no millionaire, but I'd rather supply myself with decent gear I can trust as far as I can afford it. I'll even buy my own uniform if I have to, that's one advantage a lot of reservists have above PF's, we have a non-SAPS income that allows some of us to do this and take some strain off the SAPS supply chain.

You are 100% right about it being a calling though, and you probably know people join SAPS as PF or Reservist for many reasons, often the wrong ones.
    I've seen reservists start out and work a massive amount of hours, and then family and friends get neglected and soon they work normal hours or no hours and resign. I think if a reservist gains a decent balance, does the job for the right reason ( to help others, public and SAPS in general ), and can keep that up for a year, they're usually there to stay.

User

Anyone willing to serve in law enforcement, particularly unpaid gets the nod in my book. It's not about the money, it's not about sitting on one's arse being bitter about the situation - it's about being proactive and doing something about it. For your community, your mates who serve with you and for yourself.

Hey guys, I'm not knocking the SAPS or those wanting to follow a career in Policing, it gives me great satisfaction, just don't go into it with your eyes closed. As I said, a lot has changed, their are power struggles within the SAPS, which makes it hard to operate. I wish all those well that make the selection, don't give up.

...its a calling for some - to serve and protect which gives personal reward.

User

http://www.algoafm.co.za/article.aspx?id=12289

SAPS lifts moratorium on recruitment
    07:31 (GMT+2), Tue, 24 March 2015

The SA Police Service is now recruiting reservists after a moratorium on recruitment was lifted in January.

Four provinces, namely the Eastern, Western and Northern Cape and Mpumalanga have been identified as pilot provinces for the first recruitment.

Replying to a parliamentary question, Police Minister Nathi Nhleko, said there are certain categories of people not allowed to become police reservists.

These include journalists, members of private security industry, bouncers and members of towing services, among others.

Freedom Front Plus MP, Dr Pieter Groenewald, said while reservists should not have criminal records, there are many full time police members with criminal records and no proper action is taken against them.

User

Does anyone have any recent news about this? Can one still become a reservist and what is the procedure to apply?

User

I called the Durban central police station yesterday and asked about joining as a reservist...They told me that there is a hold on recruitment at the moment and that you have to be over the age of 25 and under the age of 40 and not be registered with PSIRA... there is a whole lot more that you can read about here http://www.saps.gov.za/services/reservist.php

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast