Thread: Fabarm PSS 10

Talking Fabarm PSS 10

So one day I discovered that the trusty old CBC pump-action shotgun was showing signs of age, and in all fairness, it has been more than 20 years...

So after a lot of homework and asking expert opinions (as in - Nico from Numenor) the choice fell on the Fabarm PSS10.

Sidestepping the Minister of Interior Finances very successfully (yes, it's is not cheap) I got mine last week after making the usual number of enemies in the CFR...

My impression if this shotgun is that it is worth every cent. It is solid, sturdy, a lot more heavy than what is looks, and it is going to be a while (and a lot of ammo) before I catch up to what this weapon is capable of.

It's stroke is utterly short, and there is no way you can squeeze the trigger faster than getting the sights on the next target. At least, not me, not yet! And having 10 under the trigger seems a lot - until you start blasting away faster than you can count. Then all of a sudden it's empty! Of course, loading is smooth, and without any snagging anywhere. Note: it takes more time than with the old 6-shot :)) Sometimes you get the impression that is all you came to the range for - loading the Fabarm.....

The fiber sights is spot on, and quite visible despite the small size (for a shotgun fiber sight) Impressive is the way it keeps the pattern tight. Lots of technical jargon to explain it, but there are shots I simply know my previous scattergun would not make, that is simply no challenge to this little monster.

Knowing that the average semi-auto doesn't like oemfie loads, I fed it just about everything I could get my hands on. And behold - true. Forget about 24gram loads, it doesn't like it. But anything else it is very happy with. No stovepipes, hiccups or misfeeds - right through from 28gram to 34 gram, LG, SSG, AAA, No3, No 7 and a few other ones we are still wondering what it was.

Overall? Still doesn't make coffee, but it sure is capable of sending lead the other way very well!!

Now I just need to go practice a bit more :)))

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Fabarm PSS 10

congratulations
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Congrats. Did you check if yours can feed 65mm rounds? I've bought a SAT8 and it cycles and feeds 67.5mm slugs but it jams up solid with 65mm 7.5 birdshot rounds (it tries to push more than 1 shell onto the feeding plate). Does anybody know about a mod I can do to make it work with 65mm shells (it would be nice for me to have 8 + 1) ?

User

Vaal,

Other than the 65mm issue, how are you enjoying your SAT8 ?

User

Its a beaut, mild recoil, strangely its very light but my 35kg son shoots slugs with it with so much fun it is costing me a arm and a leg. Every body that shot with it loves it, but I think if I knew about the PSS 10 I probably would have taken it instead. As Rocco said they are very heavy (on ammo). LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Congrats. Did you check if yours can feed 65mm rounds? I've bought a SAT8 and it cycles and feeds 67.5mm slugs but it jams up solid with 65mm 7.5 birdshot rounds (it tries to push more than 1 shell onto the feeding plate). Does anybody know about a mod I can do to make it work with 65mm shells (it would be nice for me to have 8 + 1) ?
    Hi! Sorry to hear about this problem. No - I had no such experience whatsoever. Even down to 60mm 32gram No7 shot (yes - reloads) worked fine!

I may just be slow on thinking the mechanics through, but I fail to see how the ammo can cause two shells to feed onto the plate, unless it is something specific to the particular ammo you are using. If it works fine with one it should work with the next?

And then... Um...

Just like to mention that at the SANDF Championships a few weeks ago at Berdasdorp, the unofficial winner of the Shotgun Tournament was a Fabarm.... (It didn't come into consideration because it was an Open Class shotgun)

Roccodewet

Please tell me more about SANDF Champs. I had mistakenly thought this was service rifle, but understand it to be a proper 3 gun match?

User

Wow, this has been a while...

The SANDF Champs is run as a 3 gun tournament under the IPSC rules. Usually only one FA is shot per day, so 3 days in total. The divisions allowed is production and standard in handgun, standard manual in shotgun and standard semi auto rifle. The reason for this is to cater for the "service" type weapons as issued by the SANDF. Z88 pistols(Vector SP 1 and Star sometimes seen), Beretta pump action shotguns and the R series rifles. Members with standard semi auto shotguns were allowed in the past, but not over the past two years. Civilian members are sometimes allowed to shoot, but do not qualify for prizes. I have no idea how reserve force members will be handled.