Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default AR ACCESSORIES WARNING.

It seems to me the time has come to (directly and without mincing words) warn new uninitiated buyers of AR rifles and AR accessories to make sure of what accessories they are actually buying. I cannot in good conscience let this issue just slide by.

I came across an AR yesterday with "Magpul BUIS" installed as (it seems) primary sights.

The "Magpul" BUIS looked funny to me and on closer inspection I saw they differed totally form the genuine Magpul BUIS I have.

These items were either cheap chinacopies or Magpul Airsoft units but i have not yet seen Magpul Airsoft BUIS and these looked really sub par. They are floppy , loose, not well finished, adjustment knob of rear site askew, the front site post made of cheap plastic not even a good polymer (should be steel), the cross bolt not same as the genuine units, really cheap plasticky feeling and look and operation, etc.

I do not know where the owner of the rifle got these fake Magpul sights but it is a really bad idea to use them on a real rifle even for secondary sights. These copies are POS(there is no other word for them) and do not belong on anything that is not a toy.

I placed the genuine Magpul BUIS on the receiver next to the POS stuff for a direct pic comparison. The sight left top in the pic is the genuine article and the one on the right bottom is the pos.

IMG_00000033.jpg
    Last edited by DS; 31-07-2013 at 10:20.

Default Re: AR ACCESSORIES WARNING.

Thanks for the warning Khumba!
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

And that is why I buy from a reputable dealer.

Ditto for other, more expensive 'accessories' as well, to include clever Chinee fakes of Eotechs and Aimpoints, ACOGS and other high-end optics, slings and sling mounts and damned near anything else you can think of. Once you order this type stuff, the 'warranty' is about as good as last week's news.

There used to be an old-time jeweler back home who used the saying 'If you don't know diamonds, know your jeweler'...seems like this is a perfect corollary to that old saying.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

If the price is too good to be true, there is likely a good reason for it.
    In this case it's lower quality construction and materials used which will end up costing a lot more to sort out than having gone right the first time

User

I've actually started shopping around and saw these magpul buis advertised on the net. They call this magpul BUIS airsoft but in the ad it says "ships from Hong Kong".

User

Where are they from?
    Here you go:
    http://www.tinydeal.com/2-x-back-up-...t-p-32727.html

Magpul MBUS for only $9.10, but wait, there's more! FREE Shipping!

I stumbled upon this gem when looking for an AFG2 for my 15-22. I ended up buying a genuine one from GICS (About six times more expensive, but my mind is at ease...), was backordered and I'm still waiting for it and some other Condor stuff...
    If it sounds too good to be true, it's from eBay or China.

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu Ric View Post
    And that is why I buy from a reputable dealer.
    +1000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000
    MOLON LABE

User

The real deal Magpul's are sold individually. If your sight comes in a box with a front and a rear, it is almost 99% chance it is a knock off. If it cost substantially less than an original MBUS, it is 99% chance of a knock off. As far as I know there are no CHEAP Magpul PTS BUS produced at this time. It is either an expensive Magpul sight, or it isn't.

The "real deal" Magpul PTS "Airsoft" sights cost almost as much as the "real real deal" Magpul "real steel" sights do.

I've got two pairs of knock off Magpul - made in China sights. One is substantially better than the other pair, with many of the same issues Khumba points out about these sights. They run on my 15-22 and my Airsoft guns.

If you are doing anything with center fire rifles or rifles that are used for work, where a life depends on it, PLEASE buy the real deal items from a reputable dealer.

I'm happy with the knock offs on my 15-22 because it is a range toy. It'll never be used to protect a life. A drift in zero will cost me a couple of points down, not someone's life.

KBK

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    As The real deal Magpul's are sold individually.
    KBK
    Not true you can buy the sets.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod44044.aspx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast