Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Robber outgunned in Marlboro

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    I wonder if it was not really a warning shot and possibly the shooter missed?
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I do not like to be too critical in these situations as my perspective is that if you survive, you have done the right thing. All credit to the guy for not being a victim. It is easy to talk about "what I would do" but when you're the guy sitting in the hot seat it takes a certain mindset to react, and another to come out on the winning side, so this being said - I commend the guy.

However, I also like to learn from these kind of stories and file the experience away and hopefully derive some benefit from it. My observations are like this;
    (a) A warning shot is a dangerous and possibly fatal option (in this case the assailant had a toy) that might not leave you on the winning side. I do not know what the situation was downrange, but you might injure someone else. In these instances tunnel vision is a reality and you don't see peripherally.
    (b) Chasing the guy down (bear in mind he was not aware the gun was a toy) could work against you in court if the BG was killed by your gun during the chase, as the danger had passed and your life was no longer in danger. The warning (or missed) shot had ended the threat.
    (c) A cellphone and a wallet is not worth your life. It sticks in the throat a little but let live to fight another day. You are no good to your family on a slab.
    Aaand...+1 on this too. Very nicely summarized mein Herr

I do not like to be too critical in these situations as my perspective is that if you survive, you have done the right thing. All credit to the guy for not being a victim. It is easy to talk about "what I would do" but when you're the guy sitting in the hot seat it takes a certain mindset to react, and another to come out on the winning side, so this being said - I commend the guy.

However, I also like to learn from these kind of stories and file the experience away and hopefully derive some benefit from it. My observations are like this;
    (a) A warning shot is a dangerous and possibly fatal option (in this case the assailant had a toy) that might not leave you on the winning side. I do not know what the situation was downrange, but you might injure someone else. In these instances tunnel vision is a reality and you don't see peripherally.
    (b) Chasing the guy down (bear in mind he was not aware the gun was a toy) could work against you in court if the BG was killed by your gun during the chase, as the danger had passed and your life was no longer in danger. The warning (or missed) shot had ended the threat.
    (c) A cellphone and a wallet is not worth your life. It sticks in the throat a little but let live to fight another day. You are no good to your family on a slab.
    +1

User

Well said Springer!
    Chasing someone down does definitely not consitute personal protection or self defence, as such, should things have taken a turn for the worst, he could well have been in trouble.
    Besides that, these guys sometimes work in packs and there is no telling if he or she (let's not be sexist here) is leading you into an ambush

User

Can of worms here...

Maybe he wanted to do a citizens arrest.

To add to this, I seem to remember there was a story some time back where a guy had chased a guy into the bush where he had a fix on his (girlfriends) iPhone or iPad, some guys got shot and I think he ended up getting arrested? Not sure how that ended up for him. Anyone have any info on that?

User

To add to this, I seem to remember there was a story some time back where a guy had chased a guy into the bush where he had a fix on his (girlfriends) iPhone or iPad, some guys got shot and I think he ended up getting arrested? Not sure how that ended up for him. Anyone have any info on that?
    This happened close to Menlyn SC..... Have no idea though what was the outcome of this.

User

Agree with you springer. Warning shots should not be an option and if the first shot counted the whole chase would not be necessary and then you don't have the risk of a gun battle when you tracked him down, which would lead to your arrest as you gave chase and killed him after he fled. (even though i think this should never be the problem)

On the other hand, his FA license card was probably in that wallet and we all know how long a reprint takes! <----(this was a joke)

User

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...-iPad-20130430

He got into trouble as he fired at them fleeing. Don't know what's happened since.
    Last edited by Hognods; 01-08-2013 at 11:07. Reason: found article

Quote Originally Posted by Hognods View Post
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...-iPad-20130430

He got into trouble as he fired at them fleeing. Don't know what's happened since.
    Thanks dude.

Maybe a warning shot was his only option maybe there was innocent people behind the BG in the firing line.Know your target and what's beyond comes to mind.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast