Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Concealed carry vs Open carry

It is my personal opinion that open carry is GOOD idea. I know it's against the law and as long as it is I will always conceal my FA to the best of my ability. However here are my reasons why I feel open carry is better :

I have yet to hear where a person was targeted/attacked because the BG saw his FA on his hip. With FA's so easy accessible and cheap on the black market, it would be a much easier for the BG to rob an old lady's handbag and go and buy himself a gun on the black market. 99% of FA theft that we hear of was part of house burglaries and not because the BG saw the OP's FA on his hip. I'm of the opinion that open carry will deter a lot more crimes than it will provoke. Now moving on to why I think open carry would be better.

Open carry is probably the best marketing, promotion for Non FA owners to become FA owners. The more people see other people carrying the more the whole stigma of "FA's are bad and taboo" will fade away. I have heard it so many times from friends and strangers alike that people who they see carrying are either "scared", "playing Rambo", "Zef" etc. I'm sure the more the public see other people carrying the more they will warm up to the idea and even start to EDC themselves. I'm sure we all agree the more competent people EDC the better chance we have to prevent, deter and fight crime.

Secondly If you ever are in a situation where you need to use your FA for SD purposes you would be able to draw your FA quicker. Sometimes milliseconds is the difference between life and death.

I really cant see what the whole fuzz is around concealed carry, am I missing something or a bigger picture? However until the law changes, I will have to abide to it and will do so.

User

Default Re: Concealed carry vs Open carry

With concealed carry you have the element of surprise should you get hit. The element of surprise is a very, very powerful tool that can fluster, scare, stun and confuse your attacker in a heartbeat, all while you are busy aligning sights and pointing a 9mm hole straight at his off-switch.

Just my opinion.

EDIT: Oh, and I can draw quicker with my IWB than any OWB I own. Because practice and drills.

Element of surprise. And do not assume you will not be a target. Urban Camouflage is not just a colour ;-)

User

Both have Pro's and Con's.

User

I am all for the law not telling me how the hell to carry my property, and when we get there - I'll still carry concealed.

And another point, say you are in a shop and a bunch of armed robbers are already in there, concealing and make their move? You will be the first to be illuminated as you pose the "biggest" threat.

User

So you have never heard of a policeman or security officer being attacked and having his gun taken? I have lots. There is a reason they put multiple metro cops on camera duty.

Also when you are open carrying and I rob where you are , I shoot you in the back of the head to start proceedings. When I rob you I shoot you and then empty your pockets at my leisure.

User

Point taken but if you were to open carry you would IN SOME CASES not need the element of surprise because the BG saw you were carrying and that on it's own was enough to deter the BG from approaching you since there are much easier targets. This could the prevent you from finding yourself in sticky situation where you HAD TO SURPRISE the BG. With regards to draw speed, you should be able to draw quicker with a non concealed FA if you spend the same amount of time doing the practise drills. Also there is a lot less that can go wrong in the sense of the FA snagging on your shirt etc. However I do understand that the element of surprise would be invaluable in certain circumstances.

EDIT This was in response to Toxxyc's post ....

Quote Originally Posted by LoocOrez View Post
    Point taken but if you were to open carry you would IN SOME CASES not need the element of surprise because the BG saw you were carrying and that on it's own was enough to deter the BG from approaching you since there are much easier targets. This could the prevent you from finding yourself in sticky situation where you HAD TO SURPRISE the BG. With regards to draw speed, you should be able to draw quicker with a non concealed FA if you spend the same amount of time doing the practise drills. Also there is a lot less that can go wrong in the sense of the FA snagging on your shirt etc. However I do understand that the element of surprise would be invaluable in certain circumstances.
    If you must assume, assume you get the smart criminal who is extremely intimate with violence and the sight of your gun gives him a rush because he loves "tough guys". Prepare for that guy.

But do not for one second assume you are dealing with a pussy dumbshit that can't shoot. That will get you killed.

Open carry inside your house. Get your OC fix there.

User

Yeah no, "in some cases" doesn't cut it for me. I think my chances are better when the BG doesn't know what big a threat I actually am to him! :)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast