Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Default Re: Are Traffic Police allowed to....

I haven't been stopped by a cop in years - and frankly, the guys got a point - let's ease off the tarring them all with the same brush. Yeah, most suck, but not all. The fact that Mr Marais is here and interacting with us is a good start. And as mentioned, we don't have 'civil liberties' in quite the same way as the US. Traffic cops CAN stop anybody on the road at any time. Deal with it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ARM505 View Post
    Traffic cops CAN stop anybody on the road at any time.
    And yet you hardly ever see them stopping taxis en mass, or enforcing red light in busy intersections, or stopping people actually breaking the law by talking on their phones and driving.

You see them occasionally doing that, but the majority of the time they are doing these things themselves or setting up speed trap cameras.

KBK

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    And yet you hardly ever see them stopping taxis en mass, or enforcing red light in busy intersections, or stopping people actually breaking the law by talking on their phones and driving.

You see them occasionally doing that, but the majority of the time they are doing these things themselves or setting up speed trap cameras.

KBK
    Agreed 100%.

Another thing. What about pedestrians. 50% of the deaths on SA roads are pedestrians. But do you ever see the Metro cops patrolling the roads and stopping pedestrians on the highways. Never. Yet these accidents contribute 50% of the toll. 90% of enforcement revolves around speed trapping and probably 90% of the fines issued are for people driving marginally over the limit. A total waste of recources that just leads to a total lack of respect for the law.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

If u don't have anything to fear, don't complain. A lot of times people that thinks nothing is suspicious of a vehicle don't see the drugs, fire-arms or expired driver licence in the vehicle. The only way to really catch criminals is to pull of vehicle that look innocent.

Dont be offended by this reply.

User

Oooh, an expired driver (sic) licence. Head for cover!

User

Reminds me of the time Metro removed the fake sheep on Bang & Olufsons lawn down the road from work. Apparently they were grazing to close to the road and were a hazard to......mmmmmm

Common sense is a requirement for the job, and some of these officers are just out to make quick bucks of us motorist. A taxi that's is so unroadworthy will get away because of corruption. That's a sad state of affairs. Not all metro cops are like this, and I have seen guys who try and make a difference, stop at non working traffic lights to direct traffic, to impound taxis, but there's just too few of them around.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5