Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Are Traffic Police allowed to....

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie1 View Post
    Yes it is very troublesome. Looks to me like it conflicts heavily with the Human Rights Act, etc.
    Haha, a humorous duopoly that read is.

RSA is the bees knees on paper, but I'm afraid that's the only place where most of those lovely rights exist.

This is a pet hate of mine. Namely roadblocks. Roadblocks are too convenient and something you do to catch an escaped or on the run, criminal. Setting up roadblocks to check vehicles and or DUI's is ridiculous. Far more effective would be policing moving violations by visible or ghost cars. I concede that this is happening more and more which is good, and my circle of friends are certainly more aware of this and behaving on the road more than they were a few years ago.

Also I find that people are too selective when it comes to police doing their jobs. When someone drives a wreck of a car into someone else, everyone says "if only the police would do their jobs and pull these guys off the road when they see them" and when they themselves get stopped, they get all shirty about "rights" - it works both ways. Be polite to cops, and you'll find they are polite to you, they do a tough and thankless job. Some of them are rotten though it has to be said, but that doesn't mean you have to treat them all like shyte.

User

Would love our cops down this side to do the same thing.
    All they are good for in this neck of the woods is sitting on the side of the road with camera speed traps, then bragging to the papers about the millions they are raking in from the fines. I don't see how receiving a fine two weeks after you were speeding is helping to make our roads safer. To top it off this is all normally done within 200m of an intersection where the straight flowing traffic is forced to stop because a few pricks feel they cant wait in a turning lane.

User

Screw pulling people over or road blocks, they can visit the road outside where I work at opening and closing time of the local bus depot. They'd hit their quota in minutes. Running red lights, speeding with big ass busses, running the red lights and pulling off before green. It is a freaking madhouse on Borchards Quarry near the N2. Or people driving down the yellow line during rush hour.

I got pulled over the other day 'cos I was towing a caravan. (I am licensed to and the vehicle/caravan all are within the correct weights and categories). Yet I see thousands of fine-able offenses every day while driving.

One might think that traffic departments are interested more in generating revenue than actually dealing with errant drivers? Which is why they mostly target certain areas? Nah, couldn't be...

User

They actually do not understand the scope under which they should perform their duties...easier to harras law abiding drivers, also provides that extra power boost to the ego.

Ban me after this statement if you want.

Bertie, you sound like 'n doos!

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Ban me after this statement if you want.Bertie, you sound like 'n doos!
    Let me guess... You sound like a traffic cop?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie1 View Post
    They actually do not understand the scope under which they should perform their duties...easier to harras law abiding drivers, also provides that extra power boost to the ego.
    Hit the nail on the head.
    If you watch a traffic officer driving, they chat on cell phones, change lanes without indicating, overtake on solid lines, etc... They themselves do not know the law or why there are road rules in the first place.

User

Don't shear everyone under the same comb. Some good traffic cops out there.

Actually, the same goes for SAPS,SANDF,Metrocops.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast