Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Sierra 130gr Prohunter in .270

It is all to common these days to hear people bashing standard cup and core bullets and claiming that we should only hunt with Premiums (Barnes, Interbonds, Accubonds, Rhinos, Scirocco, A Frames etc etc).

Well ..... I do not buy any of that gumpf. I believe that lures catch more fishermen than fish!

I hunt almost exclusively with Sierra and we shoot quite a bit. On Saturday my son shot an Impala at about 150m with his .270 using a 130gr Prohunter (flat base - Gamekings have the boat tail). The shot was angling towards him. He slipped it in to the rib cage, it ran through the body and was caught under the skin on the other side. It weighed 106gr! That is 81% of the original weight and the buck went straight down. We see this a lot but seldom get to catch the bullet. Meat damage was minimal.

Just thought I would share it and fly the flag for Sierra. When used within their specs they are unbeatable for accuracy and terminal performance!

Sierra do not make bonded bullets because they believe their bullets are "premium" quality. It is the #1 seller in the US - for good reason. Place your shot correctly with the correct bullet and it is lights out!

User

Default Re: Sierra 130gr Prohunter in .270

Sierra caused psychological problems with me, hard to get over it.

User

tell me more .....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    tell me more .....
    I was developing a load for 130 gr nosler accubond the other day, the smallest I could get it with a little fiddling was about 20 mm. The one guy tuned me wow that's good, and I said geez that's kak, useless, totally unusable, how did Nosler come up with that name, suppose to be all in the same hole!

Later that night/morning in bed thinking about it, I wondered that perhaps I might still actually hit something with it, and then I realized I had a problem, anybody knows a good support group?

User

Clearly the Nosler's worked for you considering the Hartebeest you shot on the week end.
    @Webster. The Sierra's work fine but the crux of the matter is that as you correctly say 'They must be used within their parameters i.e they are not designed for close range shooting out of magnum calibre hyper velocity rifles.
    I use the 160 grain game kings in my 7x57 and they work well for me at these moderate velocities.

User

Messor - got you! I am falling into that trap too. I have become so accustomed to their accuracy that all else seems useless. I might also need that support group one day if I ever move away from Sierra. I hunt all my Springbuck sized game with the 85gr HPBT in .243 and the accuracy is legendary. I use the 130 Prohunter in my .270 and the 150gr Prohunter in my .308 (a legendary bullet - bl@@dy tough indeed). We also shoot the 55gr HPBT gameking in my .222 - sweet as sugar! God forbid that Sierra ever stop exporting to us.

User

I use Sierra for most of my shooting/hunting. I find the exectional quality and good value for money.

User

I like the game king for my 130gr .270. very nice for springbok. Accuracy is awesome, and anywhere over a 150 meters the meat damage is no more than with scirocco.

under a 100 meter its a tad bit explosive. still head/neck shots solves that problem. even if you make sure to place the shot just 2cm behind the front leg throut the ribs, the mess is manageable.

sierra game kings do put them down very very quick, with a heart lung shot. big damage to vitals.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JouDoring View Post
    I like the game king for my 130gr .270. very nice for springbok. Accuracy is awesome, and anywhere over a 150 meters the meat damage is no more than with scirocco.

under a 100 meter its a tad bit explosive. still head/neck shots solves that problem. even if you make sure to place the shot just 2cm behind the front leg throut the ribs, the mess is manageable.

sierra game kings do put them down very very quick, with a heart lung shot. big damage to vitals.
    I've had the exact same experience with them. Great for small/medium game at further distances. I shot a Black Wildebeest earlier this season with them. The shot was just behind the front leg and I had very little meat damage.

User

I take it the pro hunter is a little bit more sturdy bullet than the game king. just because of the shape

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast