Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Sierra 130gr Prohunter in .270

Pro Hunter also has a slightly thicker jacket than the Game King.

Banned

I prefer bullets bullets that do not require "they work fine at distance over xyz" they just great on ewes and cows, but I would not a big bull" or " they great if you don't hit a big bone" ---even heard ' ---------------- they good if you don't hit bone" and of course " they work fine but I would not advise quartering shots. .
    I choose bullets that SHOULD work every, they cost me a whole 3/4 bucks more a shot, usually about R8/12 more a hunt - has not broken the bank yet. I have had a few animals recovered where bullets failed in one way or the other and we still retrieved animal to learn from it. Good bullets are not a guaranteed cant go wrong, but they certainly hold up better when things go a bit a wrong. A early lesson learnt was how much different a cheapie behaves through Rumen when compared to gut shot recovered bonded bullets. On a closing note - I would not call Game Kings a cheapie, but in my limited opinion I would put them at the start of the better bullets. Copper thickness goes a long way in overcoming the cheapie label. --JUST MY OBSERVATIONS>

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I prefer bullets bullets that do not require "they work fine at distance over xyz" they just great on ewes and cows, but I would not a big bull" or " they great if you don't hit a big bone" ---even heard ' ---------------- they good if you don't hit bone" and of course " they work fine but I would not advise quartering shots. .
    I choose bullets that SHOULD work every, they cost me a whole 3/4 bucks more a shot, usually about R8/12 more a hunt - has not broken the bank yet. I have had a few animals recovered where bullets failed in one way or the other and we still retrieved animal to learn from it. Good bullets are not a guaranteed cant go wrong, but they certainly hold up better when things go a bit a wrong. A early lesson learnt was how much different a cheapie behaves through Rumen when compared to gut shot recovered bonded bullets. On a closing note - I would not call Game Kings a cheapie, but in my limited opinion I would put them at the start of the better bullets. Copper thickness goes a long way in overcoming the cheapie label. --JUST MY OBSERVATIONS>
    I agree, leave the superiorly accurate Sierra's to those who shoots superiorly non rumen shots, like me.

Ps: Joke/Friends.

Banned

ya and accurate they are !!!!!!!! Really. And a well placed shot beats any bullet placed badly anytime, every time. YET TO FIND A RIFLE THAT WILL NOT BEHAVE VERY WELL WHEN FED SIERRAS, heard of them ......................

I've just started developing the 270 using 130 gr sierra pro hunter with somchem 361 powder. And recommendations on great loads? Initial testing suggest either 56 or 58 gr powder. Had the best average fps and std deviations at these two loads, grouping wasn't horrible for first testing

PMP cases
    federal magnum primers
    83m overall round length

Banned

56 or 58 gr - what happened with 57 gr, bit of a anomaly here ?
    Me thinks shooter not doing his part.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    I've just started developing the 270 using 130 gr sierra pro hunter with somchem 361 powder. And recommendations on great loads? Initial testing suggest either 56 or 58 gr powder. Had the best average fps and std deviations at these two loads, grouping wasn't horrible for first testing

PMP cases
    federal magnum primers
    83m overall round length
    I am not an expert on all the matters related to reloading but do you need magnum primers? I did some tests with CCI 200 vs CCI 250 primers and S361 powder in the 80s (Musgrave mod 80 .270). The CCI 200 primers gave the best accuracy and the av deviation between shots were more consistant. Unfortunately I no longer have the.270 or the info on the loads I developed.

Banned

Ball powders are supposedly better ignited with magnum powders.
    I have never been able to verify this, the rifles I tested both primers in had no measurable difference. (But! we are using a 0.5 inch as good enough)

User

A standard cup and core bullet normally performs well on game at the lower end of the velocity scale with a leaning towards the heavier side bullet for a given caliber.
    Light,fast cup and core bullets that hit no more than a rib on entry often result in a super fast death with the animal dropping on the spot caused by the bullet practically blowing up in the chest cavity.
    The premium or bonded bullet will perform well on game at higher velocities than a conventional bullet will as well as causing less meat damage from similar shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    56 or 58 gr - what happened with 57 gr, bit of a anomaly here ?
    Me thinks shooter not doing his part.
    probably - we also don't have a digital scale or proper powder measurer so loads aren't that consistent, the deviation of fps at 57 was high, but may just be an incosistent load

hoping to get a scale next week to elliminate that inconsistent factor.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast