Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Sierra 130gr Prohunter in .270

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    probably - we also don't have a digital scale or proper powder measurer so loads aren't that consistent, the deviation of fps at 57 was high, but may just be an incosistent load

hoping to get a scale next week to elliminate that inconsistent factor.
    You are fucking with us??
    You loading without a scale?
    57 fps...................but you using a chrony? Or you got a mate that’s good at guessing this velocity stuff.
    What’s a proper powder measure?
    Where do you get 56 or 58 gr? A guess!

This poster reminds me of a question posed by Brushstroke.
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ht=brushstroke

probably - we also don't have a digital scale or proper powder measurer so loads aren't that consistent, the deviation of fps at 57 was high, but may just be an incosistent load

hoping to get a scale next week to elliminate that inconsistent factor.
    I am not really convinced that a digital scale is more accurate than a quality beam scale. You do not need a powder measure to load accurate ammunition.

User

Ball powder normally throws reasonably accurate out of a powder measure, but for rifle you generally want to weigh all the charges. Even then, cheap Lee scales are usually accurate enough to indicate to +- 0.1 gr.

With the amount of powder per case, that high es would need an error between charges of more than 0.5gr. Velocity is probable at just the wrong place between velocity nodes.

Even with the high es, what do the groups look like?

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    57 fps...................but you using a chrony? Or you got a mate that’s good at guessing this velocity stuff.

We've got one of those mechanical scales that struggle to get accurate, so not a guess. And yip we had a chronograph so speeds are accurately measured. The reason I say 56 or 58 eas because I had one round at 57 with a big variation in fps, which may have been an inaccurate load. I wish I could guess load and speeds accurately

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Ball powder normally throws reasonably accurate out of a powder measure, but for rifle you generally want to weigh all the charges. Even then, cheap Lee scales are usually accurate enough to indicate to +- 0.1 gr.

With the amount of powder per case, that high es would need an error between charges of more than 0.5gr. Velocity is probable at just the wrong place between velocity nodes.

Even with the high es, what do the groups look like?
    Groups not great but at least all in the same region of the target

56 and 58 gr was where I got the most consistent fps for the 3 rounds. The grouping at 56gr was rhe best. 58 gr grouping was very close.fps at 56gr averaged at 2838fps and at 58gr it averaged 2941fps

56 and 58 gr was where I got the most consistent fps for the 3 rounds. The grouping at 56gr was rhe best. 58 gr grouping was very close.fps at 56gr averaged at 2838fps and at 58gr it averaged 2941fps

Fps deviations at 56gr was 6.9fps and at 58gr it was 7.5fps

Fps deviations at 56gr was 6.9fps and at 58gr it was 7.5fps

This is my first ever rifle and only the second day shooting with it so lots to learn and lots to improve on with loading and getting better grouping

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I am not really convinced that a digital scale is more accurate than a quality beam scale. You do not need a powder measure to load accurate ammunition.
    +1

Digital scales have a tendency to flake out (think electronic components, batteries, etc), whereas a beam scale, as cumbersome as it is, will give you reliable measurements for then next 100 years. I find mine (old RCBS 5.10) is accurate to within 0.1 grains, unless you have a really good eye at matching the balance points up.

I think with any scale, especially digital scales, it is good practice to weigh an object of know mass that is of similar mass to what you are weighing, both before and after you reload, then you are sure that the output is more or less correct, and there has been no drift during the session.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post

I think with any scale, especially digital scales, it is good practice to weigh an object of know mass that is of similar mass to what you are weighing, both before and after you reload, then you are sure that the output is more or less correct, and there has been no drift during the session.
    I've never understood this problem ATG.
    The powder tray that comes with the electronic scale weights a fixed amount, always, so every single time you remove it from the scale you should see that amount, in essence an electronic scale is tested with each charge, if you reload 100 rounds you test the scale 100 times.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast