Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: how many rifles and how many pistols can you own in SA?

My wife would be the limiting factor long before I got to 6000 firearms... . Sorry for the thread hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by lithium View Post
    My wife would be the limiting factor long before I got to 6000 firearms... . Sorry for the thread hijack.
    Im in the same boat brother

I'd never even date a woman who THOUGHT she ever could tell me what I could do with my money, much less marry one.

It's not about them telling us what we can and cannot own, its more a case of mutual consideration. I am saving up to buy my wife a new macbook, she deserves it and that way I don't feel guilty about all the money I spend on gun stuff. :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by DickMiller View Post
    I'd never even date a woman who THOUGHT she ever could tell me what I could do with my money, much less marry one.
    Heh-heh. I take it you're gay then?

;o)
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Wanted to revive the thread as I can't get the info after searching.
    I may own 4 weapons under OSS or OH right?
    That said, can I get a semi LR under those titles or only bolt action?
    I know I can have 2 handguns but aren't sure about the LR.
    Currently I own a G19 and a Taurus st12 pump.
    Thanks in advance

User

You need DSS to own a Semi Auto Rifle as far as i know.

I like facts - refer to the act - Firearms Control Act (60 of 2000) :

Section 13 Licence to possess firearm for self-defence:

(1) A firearm in respect of which a licence may be issued in terms of this section is any-
    (a) shotgun which is not fully or semi-automatic; or
    (b) handgun which is not fully automatic.
    (2) The Registrar may issue a licence under this section to any natural person who-
    (a) needs a firearm for self-defence; and
    (b) cannot reasonably satisfy that need by means other than the possession of a firearm.
    (3) No person may hold more than one licence issued in terms of this section.

Section 15 Licence to possess firearm for occasional hunting and sports-shooting:

(1) A firearm in respect of which a licence may be issued in terms of this section is any-
    (a) handgun which is not fully automatic;
    (b) rifle or shotgun which is not fully or semi-automatic; or
    (c) barrel, frame or receiver of a handgun, rifle or shotgun contemplated in paragraph (a) or (b),
    and which is not a restricted firearm.
    (2) The Registrar may issue a licence in terms of this section to any natural person who is an occasional hunter or occasional sports person.
    (3) (a) Subject to paragraphs (b), (c) and (d), no person may hold more than four licences issued in terms of this section.
    (b) If a person holds a licence issued in terms of section 13, he or she may only hold three licences issued in terms of this section.
    (c) A person may not hold more than one licence in respect of a handgun contemplated in subsection (1) (a).
    (d) If a person contemplated in paragraph (a) holds any additional licences contemplated in section 12 in respect of a firearm contemplated in this section and section 13, the number of licences which that person may hold must be reduced by the number of such additional licences held.

Section 16 Licence to possess firearm for dedicated hunting and dedicated sports-shooting:

(a) handgun which is not fully automatic;
    (b) rifle or shotgun which is not fully automatic;
    (c) semi-automatic shotgun manufactured to fire no more than five shots in succession without having to be reloaded; or
    [Para. (c) substituted by s. 4 of Act 43 of 2003.]
    [NB: Para. (c) has been deleted by s. 11 of the Firearms Control Amendment Act 28 of 2006, a provision which will be put into operation by proclamation.]
    (d) barrel, frame or receiver of a handgun, rifle or shotgun contemplated in paragraph (a), (b) or (c).
    (2) The Registrar may issue a licence in terms of this section to any natural person who is a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person if the application is accompanied by a sworn statement or solemn declaration from the chairperson of an accredited hunting association or sports-shooting organisation, or someone delegated in writing by him or her, stating that the applicant is a registered member of that association.
    (3) A firearm in respect of which a licence has been issued in terms of this section may be used where it is safe to use the firearm and for a lawful purpose.

Considering recent developments, maybe the answer to this question is: "Watch this space".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2