Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Tamboti Toyota Fireaarms festival : 31 August 2013

No, the best is when they call over the PA for seun(son in afr) Murphey.

User

Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff View Post
    How about posting some of those gems for us?
    Omie (pointing at SMurphy's Tanfoglio, which is cocked and locked as it should be): 'Issittie gevaarlik om so te loop nie Seun?'

SMurphy (in his best East Rand Afrikaans):'Ja oom, dis F@KKEN gevaarlik!'

Omie: 'Nou vir wat dra jy die ding dan so?'

SMurphy: 'Want as ek iemand wil skiet, dan wil ek hom NOU skiet oom. Nie nou-nou nie, f@kken NOU!'
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

I think the word Seun wanted to use was 'ontmiddelik'.

Btw. Whotz a grammar nazi in Afrikaans?
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Re: Tamboti Toyota Firearms festival: 31 August 2013
    TAMBOTI TOYOTA FIREARMS FESTIVAL 2013: REPORT

Saturday 31 August 2013

The day started at 05h00 with another drag of a set of old tyres over the sandy access road of 5 km. The low level of soil humidity this year and the large number of cars expected represented a special challenge, which we planned to meet by dragging the road at least twice on this day. The road was allready quite churned up by the large number of campers arriving the previous two days.

As the trusty 1993 model Toyota hilux hummed along in 2nd gear low range, 4x4, I ran a checklist of all the things still to be done.

There were about 40 campers in the tent town on the range - mostly BASA members who had built the big bore range the previous day.

As I passed the rondavels of "Sekoko lodge" at the farm boundary, I could see a solitary flashlight moving around the camp.
    In the complex were : The SAS team of Camo7,62, Grobbie, Steven, Hostage, Dirk and JS4 tasked with doing the handgun range as well as the SLR exhibition on this day. The SLRs would use the former Muzzle loader range.

(The Muzzle loader item had to be cancelled due to the unobtainability of Sannadex, and some serious injuries my Black powder Range officer, "Mic" sustained in a motorbike accident.)

The other ranges:ProAmm grouping range, .22 Active hunting range, Clay target trap and skeet range, Boer and Brit range, .22 junior training range, SAS handgun range were all silently lying ready in the pre-dawn. (After more than a week's hectic preparation.)
    The big tent 9m x 15m was pitched, and the stage was built for the night's performance by John Edmond.

Marcel, Salome, Georgi, Petro, Nichola and Werner - the admin team had booked a large number of relays for the ProAmm shoot the previous day and evening. We were ready to start shooting the moment our range officers arrived and put up the targets.

Weather prediction was a chilly 16*C and a 26 km/h south-westerly wind (or was it 26 knots?) Unknown conditions in these parts - especially at the start of Spring.

To be continued...............................
    Last edited by Willie Barnard; 02-09-2013 at 21:44. Reason: spelling

looking forward.. to the behind the scenes action Doc.
    "Trespassers will be welcomed, and served a light lunch"

As dawn broke, the camp started coming to life.
    At the tents kettles were steaming on little fires and gas stoves. Prospective participants were cleaning and checking their rifles, counting their ammo, getting ready.
    A stream of vehicles started to pour in as the range officers started to take up their positions. Coffee was served from Thermos flasks, or bought from the tuck shop allready open. It was really cold- and we bushvelders cannot stand cold. (But that wont stop us shooting!)

The first range to open would be the ProAmm grouping. There are 14 concrete tables, with sand bags. Relays are numbered Alpha, Bravo, Charlie .....and the positions 1,2,3 ......14 . Relays A and B was used mostly to give the range officers a chance to shoot before commencing their duties. This year would be the first time a shooter would sit down to shoot two targets per turn. That could be with the same, or different rifles, the same or different bullet weights. The idea was to increase the number of targets shot before the sun set on our day of fun.
    The first shots were fired at 08h00 - exactly on schedule.

At the admin centre the shooters were queing - the quees were much shorter than in 2012, due to the Friday's pre-registration, and an administrative overhaul undertaken by Marcel, Salome and Georgi. The few hiccups were unnoticed by our visitors.

By 09h00 the other ranges were opening.

BASA (Big Bore association of Southern Africa) had set up a range with a elephants, lions, buffaloes, a rhino and a cheetah (decoy). Eight shots were to be fired. The first prize here was a hunting package of a kudu bull for the winner on Lemetfort farm. There was no limit on the number of entries, to try and win this prize - well there was :the depth of your pocket and the size of your ammo-box! But they kept on coming back. Only 9,3 mm and larger calibre were allowed.

At the active hunting range next door, the hunters were doing their thing. Our German "Weidfrau" had set up a blue wildebeest range and a buffalo range for .22 rifles. Enthusiasm was running high.

to be continued....................

(continued)
    On the handgun range, Craig, Dirk, Grobbie, Chris and Johan had everything ready. Bushboy and Rudes were standing ready with SLRs . These two ranges were run as a joint venture. The shooters arrived in droves - they did not forget last year! I was told that the Gunsite/Tac Shac teams journey back was considerably lighter due to all the empty ammo boxes!

The sound system was playing boeremusiek, and every now and then an anouncement was made to get someone to the right place at the right time.
    The admin people were busy, but the system ran like a well oiled machine.

Shotgun range started a bit slow, but once they were up and running, they ran!
    They had a group of enthusiastic shotgunners, who every year spend almost all their time at this range. This year the range consisted of 5 clays from a trap machine from different positions, followed by a double from the skeet machine. Scores were better than last year, though the range was almost identical. I am sure it was because the wind direction was reversed, and the trap machine was hurling clays into the 25 km/h (or was it knots?) head wind.
    One guy (CV Lenz) got a full score, and was the winner for the day. At closing time, the shotgunners had finished 1000 rounds of 12 bore ammo.

I was kept busy running small errands. A staple gun at the ProAmm; shotshells for the clay range; draw up a score sheet for the Martini Henry item.

I was horrified when I saw the kid's jumping castle being overturned by a gust of wind. With some concerned grownups helping , we turned it back and looked for injured youngsters under it. Fortunately there were none. It then became known that one enterprising youngster had removed the anchor pegs holding it down, because it "hops better" that way! It was during one of these "Better hops" that the wind got it.
    In my mind's eye I had some vivid pictures of broken kids under a jumping castle on my shooting range. And that after 15 years of safe shooting. We tied it down really well this time.

Reports came in that some saloon cars were getting stuck on the sand road. I sent someone to drag the set of tyres to level the road once more. He also had to drag out whoever was stuck. Everywhere the spirit was just fantastic.

The weather prediction of cold and windy was spot on. It felt more like 36*C.
    The big tent had a line of microsprayers to cool it down. They were never switched on.
    The tuck shop ran out of coffee and had to send someone to town to buy ingredients for coffee.
    There was however plenty cold drinks available.

Casualties: One shooter became a member of the half moon club, sustaining a cut on the bridge of his nose at the Pro Amm range. He declined stitches.

By 14h00 big three legged pots made their appearance, and our butcher/cook started his magic on some open fires.

By 16h00 some of the ranges started to close. Our predictions were for the ProAmm to end at 16H30 to be followed by the grand finale of the Boer and Brit shoot. The three flags : ZAR vierkleur; Union Jack and OVS vierkleur were fluttering in the wind - promising some action to come.

Eventually the ProAmm managed to take down the last targets at 16h20 - we were running on schedule.

(continued)
    Shooters and spectators started gathering for the Boer and Brit shoot. The rules are simple: 4 members per team, 16 falling plates at 100 m, standing position, no ammo limit, time from the command "fire", till the last plate is down. There were 3 categories: The "traditional" category specify iron sights (open or peep) and manually operated rifles , "scoped" allows telescopic sights, but still insist on manual actions, and "slr" allows semi autos and any kind of sights. Though it appears that you are competing against the team next to you, the real measure of performance is the time.

Camo came running in a mild panic -they (the gunsite group) were so active at the handgun range, that they did not have time to enter for the Boer & brit. Now admin said that entries were closed due to fading light. I pulled rank, and pleaded with Jannie Pretorius to allow four more teams. He relented, and I promptly abused his kindness by entering SIX teams!

The action was fast and furious, spectators cheered as their teams managed to topple the last plate. The contest between old rivals: "Buller's barstids" and "De Wet's Donders" was particularly lively. The day was won by the team Knapdaar in 33.7 sec in the traditional category. The same team won the SLR category under the team name Ope, in a breathtaking 10 sec. The team "Die Amokmakers" won the Scoped category in 15 sec. "Double Trouble" - a group who came over from the BASA range and didn't think toppling falling plates with .470's was too expensive, spent R4000 rand's ammo in a very short time, but not short enough to win!

Now everybody gathered at the big tent. Juniors was handed their trophies, as the day was getting a bit long for the little ones.
    John Edmond got onto the stage and sang us some country songs. He was joined by his son John-Ross Edmond and his wife Teresa. The audience was munching away on their potjiekos, wors and sosaties. (Our butcher/cook told me later that for the first time in his life he was worried that he had miscalculated the food. One kudu and two impala was however just enough for the hungry shooters.)

Then came the prize giving ceremony where the best achievements on all the ranges were acknowledged. ProAmm grouping shoot is the main event, and everyone shooting a group smaller than 18 mm, qualifies for the national championship to be held in April 2014 at the PMP shooting range.

Tamboti Toyota Firearms Festival 2013 was over. It was only made possible by the hard work and dedication of more than 60 individuals, working for a common goal: "To celebrate firearm ownership!".

User

How were the numbers, compared to previous years? Sounds like a great time for all, hope I'm in the country for next year :)

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Pikchas or it never happened...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast