Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default The right kit for a Bug Out Bag

HI Guys

So I am keen to build a bug out bag but specifically for the south african context of some for collapse of the social order(be is political, war etc). The idea being simple have a bag you can grab and survive 3-7 days in the wilderness

Obviously weight is your biggest constraint – So the typical 3 day strategy applies with backup of 3 for each primary category below. For me the key is rather than carry all the food I need I would rather have more tools to obtain food.

So here is what I think the key basic requirements are, what suggestions do you have

1. Weapons– For me a 3 gun solution makes sense

a. Long Range – 338 Lapua - for 200m out to 800m. For sniping and for hunting – 100 rounds
    b. Mid range – M4 – Semi auto –for 20-200m. 500 rounds (ALso huning but possible mob threats)
    c. Short range – Glock 22 – 200 rounds
    d. Tac knife
    e. Utility knife

2. Bag – I already got the Erbelestock G4 Operater :) , What a pack is all i can say and perfect for what I want - http://www.opticsplanet.com/eberlest...ator-pack.html

3. Water
    a. Purification
    b. Tablets
    c. Collection / Storage mechanisms

4. Food
    a. To be worked out – Dry and light - any ideas?

5. Clothing
    a. To be worked out – Tactical Long pants, warm stuff etc
    b. Rain gear
    c. High Hiking boots with ankle protection

6. Shelter
    a. Tent / Tarp
    b. Ground protection
    c. Bivvy bag
    d. Sleeping bag

7. First aid kit

8. Other gear
    a. Fire – Magnesium / waterproof fire starters
    b. Spade – Plastic fold up
    c. Cooking(Not high on my list)
    d. Flashlights – include shake flashlight
    e. Radio – FRS / FM
    f. Duck tape
    g. Sowing kit
    h. Rope / Para cord
    i. Super glue
    j. Compass/Map
    k. Flares?
    l. Bug spray
    m. Basic fishing geat- Line, hook, sinker, spinners

9. Currency – Silver coins and Gold coins for bartering

User

Quote Originally Posted by hgiddy View Post
    HI Guys

So I am keen to build a bug out bag but specifically for the south african context of some for collapse of the social order(be is political, war etc). The idea being simple have a bag you can grab and survive 3-7 days in the wilderness

Obviously weight is your biggest constraint – So the typical 3 day strategy applies with backup of 3 for each primary category below. For me the key is rather than carry all the food I need I would rather have more tools to obtain food.

So here is what I think the key basic requirements are, what suggestions do you have

1. Weapons– For me a 3 gun solution makes sense

a. Long Range – 338 Lapua - for 200m out to 800m. For sniping and for hunting – 100 rounds
    b. Mid range – M4 – Semi auto –for 20-200m. 500 rounds (ALso huning but possible mob threats)
    c. Short range – Glock 22 – 200 rounds
    d. Tac knife
    e. Utility knife

2. Bag – I already got the Erbelestock G4 Operater :) , What a pack is all i can say and perfect for what I want - http://www.opticsplanet.com/eberlest...ator-pack.html

3. Water
    a. Purification
    b. Tablets
    c. Collection / Storage mechanisms

4. Food
    a. To be worked out – Dry and light - any ideas?

5. Clothing
    a. To be worked out – Tactical Long pants, warm stuff etc
    b. Rain gear
    c. High Hiking boots with ankle protection

6. Shelter
    a. Tent / Tarp
    b. Ground protection
    c. Bivvy bag
    d. Sleeping bag

7. First aid kit

8. Other gear
    a. Fire – Magnesium / waterproof fire starters
    b. Spade – Plastic fold up
    c. Cooking(Not high on my list)
    d. Flashlights – include shake flashlight
    e. Radio – FRS / FM
    f. Duck tape
    g. Sowing kit
    h. Rope / Para cord
    i. Super glue
    j. Compass/Map
    k. Flares?
    l. Bug spray
    m. Basic fishing geat- Line, hook, sinker, spinners

9. Currency – Silver coins and Gold coins for bartering
    Hi there,
    Man I think you underestimate the weight of the kit you listed... I watched a program on the marine force recon training the other day and something they said made a lot of sense: ounces = pounds and pounds = pain.

I would rather ditch the 338 and ar for 1dual purpose rifle to save some weight, for me it will be something like a ruger gunsite scout with conventional scope position.

In such a situation as you described be careful not to look too militaristic as everyone would want what rambo has!

Cheers
    George

Sent from my BlackBerry 9380 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: The right kit for a Bug Out Bag

There is nothing an M4 cant do at the distances you would want to use them at +-250m. Hunting most game would fine. Lugging 100 rounds of .338 around would be quite a mission.

Check youtube for the millions of videos on Bug out Bags and such.

Also the SAS (sports aven shooting) kitlist on the website gives you an indication of what you can actually carry in a pack and on your person.

No point in bugging out if you need a 4x4 to carry all your gear.

User

carrying a 3gun setup is going to be stupidly heavy, especially with the ammo included.

Just my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt.

I agree with the other guys. Seeing that you are located in Cape Town, why don't you see if you can join the WC Sas chapter there and test carrying all those things on the Level 1 hike. See if you can make it to the end point in time and shoot your rifle accurately and if you don't, perhaps re-evaluate all the things you wanted to carry with.

Just a disclaimer that I am not affiliated with Sas in any way...yet. Might join on the next Level 1 qualification and see what happens.

User

1. You're in Cape Town. Say the SHTF. Where are you bugging out to?

Because this determines what you pack.

2. The Sas guys have some good ideas. Pack in layers. Small pack on person, bigger pack in car, big pack at home (or whatever works for you).

3. What you have with you is important. I have my hiking boots on right now. With the blood from the last hunt. Yea, permissive work environment. And two knives. And a torch. The S most likely to HTF is a power cut and I need the torch to go check up on my servers. There's a head torch in the car. The S most likely to HTF is a flat tyre at night... you get the idea. Plan for likely scenarios, not movie plots.

4. Sowing kit. That's for rebuilding civilization. A sewing kit is good, but I get by with a few large needles taped to my lighter (of which I have more than one, they're small and cheap) and a roll of dental floss. Have fixed shoes, rucksacks, sleeping bags... and you can remove splinters and clean your teeth.

Weight is bad so multi purpose is good.

User

THanks guys, Agree with you after thinking about it, besides you have just given me the business case to buy a 4x or 6x Acog for the M4 :)

Anyone want a SAKO TRG-S 338? Just kidding

I will check out the SAS as well and maybe give it a go, sounds like a good test

Ta

An FAL and ten full mags (200 rounds) or more, if you can carry it, is probably going to be the ideal all round option. It makes a good hunting rifle, turns cover into concealment, works well at close quarters and they hardly ever fail. Use a sidearm as a backup. Its all you need.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    An FAL and ten full mags (200 rounds) or more, if you can carry it, is probably going to be the ideal all round option. It makes a good hunting rifle, turns cover into concealment, works well at close quarters and they hardly ever fail. Use a sidearm as a backup. Its all you need.
    Was thinking the same thing WZ, but in some circumstances the Ruger GS would be better ie if you don't have dedicated status.

A small .22lr take down rifle would also be good to add to a pack if you can stand the weight, with sub sonic's to do some covert hunting (small game - rabbits,birds,exc)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9380 using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    +1, that's a lot of weight in ammo but very doable (as someone said you can't have enough ammo unless you fall in a river), I don't think most of us who haven't done army time realise how much ammo weighs till we've had to carry it for a period of time, so dreaming of 3 different rifle and a thousand rounds between them is nice, but its just going to make you the vangard (and last stand) when people are running away in a SHTF Senario.

Your EDC (pistol, 2 mags, knife, torch and decent shoes-often overlooked) should be enough to get you to basic kit (rifle, ammo, water, first aid and snacks), let's call this your fighting and survival kit, this should stay with you(all the time) while you collect you BOB (more ammo, water, shelter and tools and some food). You BOB should get you to your stash or hold out location.

Your BOB should have as much as possible to help you get by without weighing you down, but if you have to ditch kit in a hurry you should not have to worry about survival if you don't have the BOB with you. In a SHTF senario you will have to be fast moving. Do you have a wife and kids - this changes things big time. Plan around your own personal circumstances. You might find that its easier to fight your way to the entrance of Woolies if the SHTF than bug out. But either way its fun to plan and think about it.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast