Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: The right kit for a Bug Out Bag

On the issue of weight. Select your pack well, you'll be surprised how much a good pack enables you to easily carry more weight.

User

I did a lot, and i mean a lot of research into the bag and decided on the G4 Operator. I received that from the US last week and must say I am super impressed with the quality and comfort.

The .22 comes out a lot in other BOB discussions in the US and from a hunting point of view is makes perfect sense, however as with the Lapua and weight discussion I would rather carry 1 Rifle and more extra ammo for it than a second rifle.

No kids so thats not a challenge but the wife I will need to plan for as well with a smaller bag

The plan is for 3 of use mates to run a wilderness trial run once we have go it packed - its the only way to find out what really works and where to problems are.

Thanks Okes

User

Stock your own FAK (First aid kit) the off the shelf/discem ones are generally stocked by the lowest bidder. Dont underestimate the necessity of a comprehensive kit, nothing ruins your day like an infected wound or Diarrhea. Store everything in a small light weight waterproof box, like Pelican/otter-box, or in a ziplock bag in an easily accesible place in your kit. Tier your medical kits like you do your gear, Boo-boo kit on your person, IFAK (individual FAK) in your bag and a comprehensive kit at home and/or at you Bug Out Location.

User

And almost but maybe not completely off topic, here's a story http://selousscouts.blogspot.com/200...he-part-1.html (H/T to the Vulgar Curmudgeon).

User

Quote Originally Posted by hgiddy View Post
    9. Currency – Silver coins and Gold coins for bartering
    Someone on GS posted a link to a blog/article about a guy surviving in Argentina in SHTF times (for the life of me I can't find the link), and the author made a bit of an eye-opening statement with regards to "currency". Gold/Silver coins are quite expensive to buy and in SHTF times, pawn shops/bartering don't know nor pay anything near the true value of the coin. Instead, he suggested rather getting a bag of cheaper gold rings/bracelets to barter. They apparently go further and don't require as high start-up costs. Something I'm considering.

For Shelter, I spotted a very versatile first-ascent poncho advertised at sportmanswarehouse a while ago. It can be used as a rain poncho (duh), hammock, tent, groundsheet. Much more lightweight and quicker tear-down if you are on the move. Buy two, one for the wife and yourself and you have a tent/groundsheet combo or two hammocks. Considering keeping this in my carry pack and keep the tent in the car bag.

User

Ferfal. Google will get you ferfal.blogspot.com.

What I took home is that when they devalue the currency only the notes get devalued, so keep all your money in coins.

User

Gold is a store of wealth for when things get better and normalise. If you are bartering with neighbours, who the hell knows the value of a random gold or silver coin? Gold is a very concentrated form of wealth, you cant divide up a krugerrand to trade for fuel or food. Focus on non perishable tangible things you need and use and if you have money left over, then look at gold or silver. The only place I see gold currently fitting into my preps would be for emergency immigration.

User

Mr Medic - Thanks good advice on the tiering. I am gonna bring in those new DARK Blow out kits as well

Prepare2win: That is also a very good point, thank you. Bascially you need something to barter, period. What it is and its value is difficult but human phychie will always put a price on precious metal. possibly carry silve and cache gold is the way to go

User

Im sorry, which planet are you guys from?

Are outsiders welcome?

Are there any shrinks there?

User

Yeti, are you saying if someone has a different world view to you they are insane?

Take a better look at the planet we are all on buddy....

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast