Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scout Rifles

User

Default Scout Rifles

Greetings all.

For the last couple of months I have been looking for a SLR that will squeeze into my budget, but to no avail...

So now I am exploring an alternative: a scout rifle. I am considering something like the Ruger Scout or lightweight Savage 11/111.

Are there perhaps other suggestions that I should consider or someone with experience with one of these rifles that can give it the thumbs up or down? Maybe someone knows where I can get one?

Thank you!

User

Default Re: Scout Rifles

Look out for a 2nd hand Saiga, dont come by often but will cost under R9k. Or even a Mini14

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    Look out for a 2nd hand Saiga, dont come by often but will cost under R9k. Or even a Mini14
    +1 Thanks @pdh! Will keep a look-out for them!

Banned

What exactly are your expectations from the weapon e.g. distance of your targets, weight constraints, calibre? Because there are bargains in every category.

User

Ive been looking for the same but it would seem ruger scouts are unavailable and they went for about 16k which is the same as a nice slr.
    Here is my suggestion. .308 howa cut down barrel install legacy sports magazine kit and viola a scout type rifle on a budget.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    Ive been looking for the same but it would seem ruger scouts are unavailable and they went for about 16k which is the same as a nice slr.
    Here is my suggestion. .308 howa cut down barrel install legacy sports magazine kit and viola a scout type rifle on a budget.
    Please tell me more? Can you just cut down a barrel? What is the effect on performance? What is the Legacy sports magazine kit?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
    What exactly are your expectations from the weapon e.g. distance of your targets, weight constraints, calibre? Because there are bargains in every category.
    I would like to engage a target at 100m to 200m and would like to be able to carry the weapon without it being to much of a burden. I have held the Savage 11/111 Lightweight Hunter and that is about the weight that would be quite nice. .223 to .308 would be sufficient. What do you think/suggest?

MOLON LABE

User

Quote Originally Posted by HoggerNaut View Post
    Wow, very nice!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Uzziel View Post
    I would like to engage a target at 100m to 200m and would like to be able to carry the weapon without it being to much of a burden. I have held the Savage 11/111 Lightweight Hunter and that is about the weight that would be quite nice. .223 to .308 would be sufficient. What do you think/suggest?
    I think best bang for buck would be to buy a rifle that’s already at the configuration you want – buying new stocks and shortening barrels will chase the price up very quickly. In all honesty bolt actions aren’t my forte, but I’d just phone around; at the moment AFTA in Cresta have had some decent secondhand goodies come through and they’re reasonably priced.

If you’re interested in a semi-auto, for some reason an M1 Carbine jumps into my mind. The ammo is pretty cheap, it hits with the same power as a .357 at 150m and the rifle itself weighs about as much as an AR15. It’s also much cheaper than most SLRs. For that Shooting Stuff in Centurion had the best selection last time I checked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast