Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Meat Mincer

Default Meat Mincer

Can anyone suggest a decent mincer for processing venison into sausage. It must also have the attachments to allow for filling of casings?

User

Default Re: Meat Mincer

Andrew
    Mincer used for filling the casing can be very frustrating and slow. Its a bit like chopping the wood with a knife, can be done, but...
    Rather get dedicated big mincer and the sausage filler. I bought No 32 mincer (about R500) and motorized it via gearbox that I had in the workshop. Works like a dream. 5l filler can be had for R2500 and it is good for many years. With this wors making is a pleasure.
    As they say, learn from other people mistakes because you have not enough time to make them all yourself.
    Mj

Was that a manual mincer that you modified?

If so motor kW, speed and the reduction factor on the gearbox please.

How do the fillers work?

User

Yes it was a cheap (but sturdy) Chinese manual mincer. The motor is AFAIR 3/4 HP and the gear ratio will have to check tomorrow.
    Will make a photo and post it.
    Sausage filler is basically a big syringe

with piston driven by geared crank handle. You put the meat mix inside and the casing on the funnel in the front and turn the crank. The mixture flows nicely as opposed to jerky and irregular "splutter" of the mincer.
    You can get very nice Italian-made 5l - about ideal size for home, after-hunting production.
    Mj

Great, thanks.

Look forward to the pic and the gear ratio.

Cheers

Banned

(Just saw Markjan's posts - done while I was typing mine). Here's my 2c:

It depends on the quantity of your meat as well as the regularity of usage. Some of the bigger household kitchensets (Kenwood, Russel Hobbes, Kitchenaid etc) have mincers and sausage fillers - either with the package or as extra's. They are good to go for the one-hunting-trip-once-a-year scenario. Take care to get pieces with good metal parts. The sausage can be filled directly as part of the mincing process because the machines are slow enough not to rupture the skins.

The real heavy duty machines are to fast and strong to fill the sausage in one go. It is also an overkill because they are often 3-phase and use lots of electricity.

At Freddy Hirsch etc there are midrange machines and fillers. I do not know what the prices are. A very good option is to look for a 2nd-hand electric & appliance shop (There is a very good shop in Klerksdorp!). The bigger machines are usually built to last a lifetime, and can be bought at reasonable prices. I would really advise to get a separate "worsstopper". It just works - in my opinion - a little better.

OK so two seperate machines it will be.

I have a mincing attachment for the Kenwood but we do 50/60kg of wors at a time. Don't know if the Kenwood will cope.

Banned

The Kenwood will do it once of twice, and then the magic black smoke will go out. The larger machines make the work just a little faster and simpler.

Don't know whether this is superfluous: most shops sell three qualities of worsderm; AFAIK short (pieces from 50cm-1.5m), medium and long. The short pieces are cheap in comparison, but take 1/3 longer. The medium pieces are good to go.

Did not know about the length derms, we had the short one and it was a PITA. Thanks.

User

Defnitely two machines.
    I bought a el-cheapo mincer R400 model from Game, and it managed to last through a blouwildebeest, but next year I'll be better kitted. I tried filling casings with a mincer and it was frustrating and in the end the wors ended up looking like polony.
    You can get hand-mincers to modify at die Blou meul in the south.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast