Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Meat Mincer

User

Default Re: Meat Mincer

Where did you get the mincer attachment for te Kenwood? My brother's looking for one.

User

I bought the complete mincer only version made by Kenwood from Hirches in Centurion..However..they also had the mince attachment for the Kenwood Chef in stock..

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

User

Just for interest sake. I bought myself one of the small mincers available at Makro earlier in this year, just to start of (I could not justify a bigger, stronger, costlier unit just yet) and used it about two weeks ago for the first time. I made about ten kilograms of boerewors (mainly blesbok) with it. The mincing was fairly straigh forward, but I had to do the mincing in two sessions, as this motor can only run for ten minutes continuous and then has to cool down for at least ten minutes before you can use it again. I also used it to fill the casings. This was more of a schlep and time consuming. I removed the blade and anvil from the mincer and used only the worm to feed the meat into the casings. I will definitely get a dedicated machine for filling, as some of the other guys has commented. The small machine in retrospect if probably fine for about five to ten kg of meat at a time, but no more. So, a bigger mincer is now justified...

Gents, really old thread but any updates on your mincers and how the home versions have handled? Guessing only 50kgs of meat a year?

I'm looking at these 2 units:
    https://www.takealot.com/bosch-meat-...43/description
    https://www.loot.co.za/product/mouli...bkhz-6480-g100

Thanks.

Both look nice.

The Moulinex has a straight down tube which will be better than the tapered tube. The Bosch appears to have a longer overhang where the mince comes out which is better. Both are good brands. The Bosch looks more robust but looks are deceiving. Both are about the same and have the same sized motors, tough choice.

I see both have one stuffer nozzle only. Check the size as you may not be able to do droewors.

The smallest plate size I use for boerewors and droewors is 8mm. Anything finer and you are making breakfast sausage, which you may want to do as well. See if you can get coarser plates, ideally you would want a 13 and a 19mm but can get away with a 13mm.

Will the 50kg be done in one go or in smaller batches over time. This is important as the mincer heats up and the heat transfers to the mince mix and starts to melt the fat pieces which is most undesirable.

So the sequence if you do not have a 19mm plate is;

Chill fat and meat to circa 0 to 3 deg C and coarse mince meat with 13 to remove a lot of the sinew, assuming you have not been anal in your trimming. Coarse mince the fat.

Chill again down to 0 to 3 deg C and coarse mix by hand adding spices, ice water etc, as per you recipe.

Chill mix, yip same again. Now you have your mixture that is mixed by hand, of the correct consistency and ready for stuffing the casings. Passing it through the 8mm plate now completes the final mix and reduces the particle size to one suitable for boerewors.

Importantly, if you are going to use the mincer as a sausage stuffer as well then take note. If you have a sausage stuffer ignore the next points.

1. It is note easy to mince and to control the filling of the tune, not impossible and require two people to be successful initially.
    2. You have one shot at it as you don't have the the attachment on either model that allows you to fill casings without re-mincing. So you need to mince and fill in one pass. If you can make a a plate with three thin spokes then you can stuff the sausages in a separate operation which for me is desirable. The one on the bottom right is what I am talking of.

Try borrow a sausage stuffer until you get the hang of it.

So it is imperative that you keep your ingredients chilled through this process else the fat smears and the finished product is really poor. So you cannot overwork the mincer.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Gents, really old thread but any updates on your mincers and how the home versions have handled? Guessing only 50kgs of meat a year?

I'm looking at these 2 units:
    https://www.takealot.com/bosch-meat-...43/description
    https://www.loot.co.za/product/mouli...bkhz-6480-g100
    It depends a lot on how much you are going to use the mincer. I used to have a Moulinex, similar to the one advertised. I put through about 12 big animals before I needed to replace the blade/mincer plate, and after a few more animals, the thread on the mincer unit started to slip, so I made mushed meat instead of minced meat. In the end I bit the bullet and got a small commercial machine, a TreSpade 32mm mincer from Crown National. It is overkill, as you can do 50kg of meat in a matter of minutes. A Trespade #12 unit is the ideal size for someone who does a few animals per year, and it should last a life time.

Say the Bosch can do 20 animals (50kg) each, then the machine will last until you are about 60. By then there will be little hope of finding spares. On my 32 mincer, the plates and blades are fairly interchangeable between brands, so I can use it for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    It depends a lot on how much you are going to use the mincer. I used to have a Moulinex, similar to the one advertised. I put through about 12 big animals before I needed to replace the blade/mincer plate, and after a few more animals, the thread on the mincer unit started to slip, so I made mushed meat instead of minced meat. In the end I bit the bullet and got a small commercial machine, a TreSpade 32mm mincer from Crown National. It is overkill, as you can do 50kg of meat in a matter of minutes. A Trespade #12 unit is the ideal size for someone who does a few animals per year, and it should last a life time.

Say the Bosch can do 20 animals (50kg) each, then the machine will last until you are about 60. By then there will be little hope of finding spares. On my 32 mincer, the plates and blades are fairly interchangeable between brands, so I can use it for the rest of my life.
    I too have the Trespade #32 but it is well over the top for the average biltong hunter, and it is not cheap, but I do enjoy it.

Take-a-lot has the #12 for R 8k and that too is over the top for the average biltong hunter price wise not functionality. If you are buying for a lifetime then these are the way to go. You also get a variety of sausage nozzels that fit the machine. It's the old, you get what you pay for.

I still believe that for convenience that you must have a seperate sausage stuffer.

An option is to buy a #32 hand mincer and to modify it.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

I have used the Bosch machine for about three years now. The largest plate works well for mince and sausage. I've used the medium one for pork mince and that makes great sausage too.

I've had no problems, but then I probably did not do more than 50 kg in total.

Nice machine. It does not stuff sausage well, you need a separate stuffer.

Gents,

Thank you for the detailed feedback, that's been very useful. My initial thought was to get the mincer and use my butcher to stuff the wors / droewors until I can add a stuffer. I'm wondering if I should rather swap that around and use the butcher to mince and I'll do the stuffing.

The 50kgs is probably over the hunting season as we do use whole muscles for steaks, stews, curries and biltong.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Gents,

Thank you for the detailed feedback, that's been very useful. My initial thought was to get the mincer and use my butcher to stuff the wors / droewors until I can add a stuffer. I'm wondering if I should rather swap that around and use the butcher to mince and I'll do the stuffing.

The 50kgs is probably over the hunting season as we do use whole muscles for steaks, stews, curries and biltong.
    That makes a lot of sense. It will take a butcher longer to do the admin, than to mice the meat.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast