Default Easy Hunter's Goulash

A recipe to revive this section of the forum. This is a favourite, and while it takes a while to cook, it is easy, and ideally suited to the potjie or slow cooker.

Hungarian friends of mine define goulash as a meaty dish cooked with “adequate paprika”. While definitions of what might constitute “adequate paprika” may vary, it is always a lekker warm red colour. Some are like soups, others more like stews. A lot of fuss is made about quality of paprika, and my friends have family send them regular instalments of the good stuff, claiming it helps them retain an ethnic link to their heritage. I have always made do with the Robertson’s Spices offering, and have been happy with it.

Ingredients (for 4servings):
    1 to 1.5kg game meat cut in chunks, shin is good as a few marrow bones are always a good addition.
    4 large onions, chopped (yes, I do have the correct number )
    ½ cup of paprika powder (again, this is not a mistake – refer to the blerb above about “adequate paprika”)
    1 to 2 tsp cayenne pepper/crushed chili/hot paprika
    2 tsp of caraway seed
    Salt to taste

Note: If you are one of those barbaric bastards that supports torture meat from abattoirs, you can substitute the game meat for other meat like beef/mutton.

Method:
    This is the easy part. No frying/browning/missioning.

Keep one teaspoon of caraway seed aside. Choose a pot that will be full when all the ingredients are in it, and place the remaining ingredients into said pot. Place it on a low heat (like 1 on an electric stove) with its lid firmly in place and let it cook for 4 to 6 hours. The required moisture will come from the onions and the meat. Stir occasionally. It should not boil, as this just pumps the moisture out and that carries the flavours with it! For the last hour add the remaining teaspoon of caraway and adjust seasoning.

Serve with anything that takes your fancy – crusty bread is good, rice or pasta will do. Traditionally, it would be served with dumplings boiled in salty water. What is also a nice accompaniment is plain yoghurt with a bit of freshly crushed garlic in it.

I have never had to add any additional moisture, but should I need to, I would probably use dry white wine - because Dr C Louis Leipoldt said that it would be the right thing to do!

User

Default Re: Easy Hunter's Goulash

That sounds delicious, I will try it in the future! Thank you for sharing!

Default Re: Easy Hunter's Goulash

This sounds great! I will try this with either mash or pap