Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default a Few questions regarding DSS.

Thought I would start my own thread on this topic. Seems that I'll have D.S.S with S.A.D.P.A by the end of the year, hopefully anyway. So please run by my what all the advantages would be. I know that I'll then be excempted from the 200-round rule, and that I'll be able to own more that 4 firearms. Now my question is, for which type of firearms can I apply if I have D.S.S with S.A.D.P.A ? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question but I need to know. I'm also a member with the Lowveld Hunters Association. Can I buy hunting rifles to my heart's content with my S.A.D.P.A status or do you have to do Dedicated hunter with L.H.A for that ? Thank you in advance.

User

Default Re: a Few questions regarding DSS.

With DSS status, you will now have access to licence firearms that are restricted as per the FCA.
    By this I mean you will be able to licence a semi auto rifle and or semi auto shotgun.

Please also note, that you will only have the 200 round limit taken off of the firearms you have licenced under Section 16 (Dedicated Sports Shooter) Any firearm still as occasional or SD will be limited to 200 rounds.

I have the problem in that I have DSS firearms in 9mm and 45ACP. I have one 40S&W on SD and no other 40S&W on DSS, as such, I am limited to 200 rounds to that pistol, and unlimited with regards to 9mm and 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    Please also note, that you will only have the 200 round limit taken off of the firearms you have licenced under Section 16 (Dedicated Sports Shooter) Any firearm still as occasional or SD will be limited to 200 rounds.
    Why do we even bother to bust these myths if the very people on GS spread them like this?

SF, you are wrong.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I don't agree with this above abouy 200 limit on non sport Firearms.

Please quote your source?

As far as I know the FCA says if you have dedicated status, you may own more than 200 rounds. Does NOT say for a dedicated sport license only.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Why do we even bother to bust these myths if the very people on GS spread them like this?

SF, you are wrong.
    Ah you beat me too it.

But exactly! This has been busted and discussed ad nauseam..

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    With DSS status, you will now have access to licence firearms that are restricted as per the FCA.
    By this I mean you will be able to licence a semi auto rifle and or semi auto shotgun.

I have the problem in that I have DSS firearms in 9mm and 45ACP. I have one 40S&W on SD and no other 40S&W on DSS, as such, I am limited to 200 rounds to that pistol, and unlimited with regards to 9mm and 45ACP
    <sigh> :-/

User

I am watching this space..i have the same questions regarding the rifles...

So with D.S.S via S.A.D.P.A, I can only apply for more handguns, S.L.R and semi auto shotguns ? No boltaction rifles etc ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    So with D.S.S via S.A.D.P.A, I can only apply for more handguns, S.L.R and semi auto shotguns ? No boltaction rifles etc ?
    Yeah I also want to know...

What if it is a tactical rifle? ;) like a Remington SPS Tactical. Says so on the gun as well...so surely that could be licensed under sport? :p

User

I have chatted with the lawyer that was involved in ensuring that the green licence cards are still valid to this day.

Let me try put my personal spin on this, I am no lawyer but all the same.
    My dedicated status is applied to me by participation in a specific sport, this in turn offers me specific privileges when applying for firearm licences, as well as primer and ammunition purchases. Anything else, be it my collectors firearms or my Self Defense firearm should be limited to sections of the FCA that pertain to them right?

If I licence a Rifle, let's say my HK 770 as a collectors rifle, ie Section 17, surely the laws applying to that section ring true for that weapon? From the amount of time it's valid for to the amount of ammunition allowed for said licence?

If that is the only rifle in 308 that I own, surely that would mean I would only be allowed the maximum amount of ammunition applied to the Section 17 as per the FCA?

Direct Excerpt from the FCA
    Restrictions on possession of ammunition
    (1) The holder of a licence to possess a
    firearm referred to in Chapter 6 may not
    possess more than 200 cartridges for each
    firearm in respect of which he or she holds a
    licence.
    (2) The limitation in subsection (1) does not apply to

(a)
    a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person who holds a licence issued in
    terms of this Act or any other holder of a licence issued in terms of this Act
    authorised by the Registrar to possess more than 200 cartridges for a
    firearm in respect of which he or she holds a licence on good cause shown; or
    (b)
    the holder of a licence to possess a firearm issued in terms of this Act in respect
    of ammunition bought and discharged at an accredited shooting range

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast