Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: living-off-land-delusions

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Why would you do it without the tools? Prepping is surely about using what you have, not doing without...
    Who said anything about prepping? This thread is not about prepping, it asks the question can it be done.

Yes it can

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Who said anything about prepping? This thread is not about prepping, it asks the question can it be done.
    of course it can.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post
    Yes it can
    of course it can.
    Logically, I've done this, I grew up this way.

The writer of the article, MR Wood trekker, start off by introducing himself, then say and I quote "I don't know much about the woods".

Yet nobody answered my question, anybody here tried this, nobody?

Logically, I've done this, I grew up this way. The writer of the article, MR Wood trekker, start off by introducing himself, then say and I quote "I don't know much about the woods". Yet nobody answered my question, anybody here tried this, nobody?
    Not recently. But it is possible.

Messor, I havent gone out and tried to live off the land for jollies. However, I have, at various times found water the hard way (out of necessity), slept rough (no shelter or sleeping bag), foraged food and fed myself for a night (did it for jollies, made a rule not to shoot anything). What i learned:

You can do it for sure, but it can be very tough. I certainly could collect enough food, even excluding game, in a few hours in most bushveld environments. Would it sustain me? for sure. Would it be great? umm no. Lets just say that brown locust and scorpions arent that great and some morogo isnt all that nice, all slimy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post
    Messor, I havent gone out and tried to live off the land for jollies. However, I have, at various times found water the hard way (out of necessity), slept rough (no shelter or sleeping bag), foraged food and fed myself for a night (did it for jollies, made a rule not to shoot anything). What i learned:

You can do it for sure, but it can be very tough. I certainly could collect enough food, even excluding game, in a few hours in most bushveld environments. Would it sustain me? for sure. Would it be great? umm no. Lets just say that brown locust and scorpions arent that great and some morogo isnt all that nice, all slimy.
    I did this a lot when I was younger, I can write a whole article on this, made more fires with a bushmen's bow than most people have seen normal bows. Longest stretch must have been 2 weeks straight, no nothing, just clothes. Well thinking about it some of the methods of killing animals would bring greepeace down on me, but then living in the wild is crude. Some days are harder then others in terms of energy spend, but I really don't understand this whole kilojoules thing, you eat a whole dassie and you are good for 2 days, most afternoons spend making firewood depending on season, summer much easier when living near a water source.

Anyway, I understand it being hard for the city person, I've always found it very therapeutic.

Anyway, I understand it being hard for the city person, I've always found it very therapeutic.
    Just curious, but where do you live?

User

Just curious, but where do you live?
    Springer, please don't insult my intelligence or experience. Every person viewing my profile can see where I live, most people reading the forums knows where I'm from.
    Just leave it.

Springer, please don't insult my intelligence or experience. Every person viewing my profile can see where I live, most people reading the forums knows where I'm from. Just leave it.
    It was a simple question, i can't see your profile on my phone. I was not insulting your intelligence at all.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast