Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bush rifle

Default Bush rifle

Hi guys

I want to buy a rifle for bush hunting, what do you suggest.

I have bought a 300wm could i use this for the bush.

thanks

User

Default Re: Bush rifle

It obviously depends on what you are more than likely going to be hunting. But for normal purposes, I would suggest either a .30-06 or .308. not very familiar with 300wm, but I have heard that it has a sharp recoil, that often induces flinching in inexperienced hunters/shooters. But I could be wrong. And IIRC, it is a very fast calibre, which isn't great for bushveld as the ranges you normally shoot don't go beyond say 150m, and magnum calibres often cause excessive meat damage (I like to get as close as possible, so I try shoot between 50 and 80m-closer if possible, as its all about the stalk for me, the actual shooting just brings the hunt together)

Maybe someone with more knowledge should step in here in case I am talking k@k again... ;D

User

If you allready have a 300 win mag I suggest you look at something like a 9.3 x 62 or 375h&h. They are excellent "bushveld" calibres. Slow, heavy bullets kill well and causes less meat damage. The other option is to load your 300 win mag with 220gr bullets and first give that a try.

User

I agree with Rudib, get a 9.3X62 happy0065

User

You could use your 300 win mag in the bush but you will damage a lot of meat if you hit bone at short range while the bullet is travelling at high velocity.

The prevailing school of though is that you shoudl be using a heavy, relatively slow (<= 2400 fps) bullet in bush (i.e. short range) conditions.

If you are a handloader, this will be no problem to do for a .300 win mag.

If you use factory ammo, have a look at using PMP 220 grain laod which will probably work fine.

If ou want to buy a new rifle for bush-only use on anything up to an eland, you cannot beat a 9.3 x 62 or a .375 H & H Magnum.

User

A 9.3 will be a good choice. The most popular calibers for the bush are the moderate velocity ones between 7 and 8mm. This includes calibers like 7X57,, .303Br , 308Win, 30-06Spr, 338 Sabi and dozens of others.

The 300 mag can be quite versatile if you have access to a wide range a factory ammo but especially if you reload. For the bush a 220gr bullet at a moderate velocity will do a good job. I think that local Claw Bullets made a 250gr bonded bullet in this caliber as well. If they are available I think that would be a awesome bushveld bullet at around 2300- 2400fps.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

thanks alot guys i will look in to it
    but i think i will go for the 375h&h

Cheers

User

Have a look at the CZ 550 in 375H&H. Good value for money IMO. happy0065

9,3x62 tup will do all a 375H&H does in the bushveld and more = lighter rifle for extended carry, less recoil, cheaper ammo and less meat damage if you don't reload.

Configuration like a 9,3x62 Steyr Pro Hunter Mountain Rifle is my choice for the bushveld - lightweight rifle, short barrel, powerfull cartridge for bushveld ranges and moderate speed long for caliber bullet with excellent penetration.
    Speed is important, but not at the sacrifice of accuracy, but being accurate needs to be fast enough.
    Jeff Gonzales - Trident Concepts

THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN.

"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law breaker, it breeds contempt for the law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy."
    Louis D Brandeis

User

9.3x62 grn1, you have a 300wm for the plains so you don't need a 375H&H that can shoot flatter tup

With my 9.3X62 I can load a
    195 gr GC custom HV bullet @ 2950 fps {fast, flat and accurate}
    or
    286 gr Claw at 2350 fps {enough recoil to enjoy hpy71}

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast