Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Building an SBR?

Other than buying a new AR with a short barrelled configuration, what other options are there for building an SBR in this country?

I gather swopping out barrels isn't going to happen as barrels are serialised in this country. Are there any complications in taking a 16" or 14.5" AR with a mid-length gas system and lopping a couple of inches of the end of the barrel? Is it worth the time and money getting that done or would cost almost the same as getting a brand new AR?

User

Default Re: Building an SBR?

I stand under correction, but I assume the moment you cut the barrel down on a DI AR you could well run into cycling issues, since the gas ports will likely be cut for that length barrel and as such a specific amount of pressure or gas to cycle the bolt.

If you want to go short, rather buy a rifle built in that configuration. That way you can be assured that it will work.

Just remember, the shorter you go, the more speed you will lose on the bullets fired, also the muzzle blast and concussion will climb dramatically

User

I'm looking at going down to 10.5"-11". Have seen some YoooTjub vids of 7.5's with a muzzle blast almost as long as the rifle and a concussion that a canon operator would be proud of

Read you on loosing velocity. If effective range is no more than 150m, i'm happy. It would be used for IDPA DMG and my go to FA for home defence

User

I run a 16" Colt and it's very loud, so much so, I want to get a can for it.

If I am not mistaken, Tac Shac had some very short NEA rifles at one point. Though it seems most Ar platform rifles barely touch the shelf before getting bought

User

Yip, looking at the NEA 10.5 as an off the shelf idea. Also saw racingfreak's 14.5 for sale at 17k odd, and thought it might be a prospect to convert

I am a big fan of 12in barrels. IMO they allow the best of both worlds...less blast / concussion and better velocity but still are short enough to work inside a tight hallway, car, etc. IIRC no US made ARs can be exported with less than 16in (maybe 14 1/2in with welded flash suppressors) barrels for commercial sale. OTOH the NEA and some others are not US built and can, in fact, be had with shorter barrels as standard. Get with Khumba and he can explain all...
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

If you think of having a 16" or 14.5" barrel shortened to around 10" you may very well run into cycling and other operational problems due to changing the gas volume and probably the dwell time.

Just reducing the barrel by about 2" may not be a problem but I wonder if it is really worth the effort to reduce length by 2". A SBR is best suited to use in very confined spaces and vehicles and for purposes of low profile transportation - if those are not important factors then I would give up the coolness factor of SBR and keep the rifle as is.

If that happens you will have to get a gunsmith to enlarge the gas port in the barrel and once it is over enlarged there is no fix.

Delving into barrel shortening on a DI AR15 may prove vexing - also take into account that setting up a SBR with factory parts like a dedicated 10" barrel may still prove problematic because SBR DI ARs are not easy to build into a problem free rifle and is best left to professional AR builders imo.

I would rather suggest you purchase a factory set-up SBR.

User

Thanks guys

User

BTW Neilh, we have one Schmeisser 10.5" available currently (new unused) - this rifle is properly set-up as a 10.5" SBR AR15 by the Germans and it works properly.

If interested come and have a look and talk to me personally about the rifle and a deal.

Check with Frank if there are any NEAs in 10.5" on the pending shipment (waiting for Canadian export permit) - you can also call Jacques on 012 754 0777 and ask him to double check and get back to you on that.

What I forgot to say in my reply on shortening a barrel on an AR and making it into a SBR is that you may also need to swap out the buffer to get a heavier buffer in an effort to try and fix possible dwell time issues. Buffers are not for sale generally in SA so you may have to procure one and be advised that it will be an ITAR restricted item.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    BTW Neilh, we have one Schmeisser 10.5" available currently (new unused)
    Schmeisser's are about 10k more than what i'm comfortable spending on my first AR. Possibly time to pack the passport and trek out through to Jacques and finger some AR goodness

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast