Default What is the process for renewing a card license (I've had mine for 4 years now)

I was one of the first guys in my region to buy a NEW handgun under the NEW Act. I went through the whole process when it was still brand new, and got the new card license for my new Glock back in 2005.

It is now 4 years later, and the card license will be expiring next year. I understand all the legal requirements to apply for a renewal within the designated notice period and all of that stuff.

But what is really concerning me is what exactly is entailed in this renewal? Will I have to motivate once again why I need the SD license? Logic tells me that if my original motivation was accepted under the new Act in 2005, then surely that motivation should still be valid? Is the renewal process simply a case of submitting an application form to get a new card, or can the CFR decide that it was fine for you to own the handgun for the initial 5 years, but that they feel you no longer need it and therefore cancel your license?

I guess what I'm asking is, must you jump through the same hoops again when you renew your license every five years, as you had to when you first got it under the new Act?

If any legal eagles have an answer for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Default Re: What is the process for renewing a card license (I've had mine for 4 years now)

Hi friend

I did competency and renewals in the first year of the FCA, (I am born in Feb), Just go to the dfo and ask for the relevant forms and submit them. You don't have to prove need, just keep the paperwork up to date. I have a restricted firearm thus have to apply every 21 months. (2 years minus the 90 day pre expiry renewal deadline.)

Its a stuff up as I have heard nothing. The CFR cant even process first cycle renewals let alone my situation where I applied under the new act, got the licence and have had to renew again already.

keep your sap form that proves you have submitted you application along with your proof of payment. These are the proof you will need in the event of your licence exceeding the expiry date and you have no new one issued. I would suggest going with the relevent form and insisting the clerk completes it, as they will tell you they don't have to fill it in.

Good luck
    Ryan

Default Re: What is the process for renewing a card license (I've had mine for 4 years now)

Thanks for the info, Ryan.

Just to clarify: Have you actually successfully renewed any of your competency certificates or licenses? You say you have heard nothing yet, so I presume that even the ones you renewed 2 years ago have so far not produced new licenses. Am I reading you correctly?

I sucesfully renewed all of my existing weapons licenced under the old act, I also recieved my competancy. I have all the white plastic cards.

one of these weapons was a LM5 which I have since submitted a re renewal as it is on a 2 year cycle. Have heard nothing yet. Thus I have its white card which has expired but have the paperwork and payment slip to prove I have reapplied. ( You need both)

We wait