Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marinade

Default Re: Marinade

I have a very similar recipe to LoodDruppel. It works very well and the only change I do is to vacuum seal the bag to really have the marinade soak into the meat. The Worchester sauce and the vinegar combined is fantastic. Remember to put all the marinade in a pot and reduce it afterwards, adding a lump of butter in at the last minute for a fantastic sauce once the meat is cooked.

My other favourite recipe for Springbok boud is to debone the boud and then soak it in a bottle of Knorr Greek Salad dressing which really consist of vinegar, water and spices. I leave the boud in the liquid for about 5 days and then cook it in what ever way is preferred.

User

Juice of 1 large lemon
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 teaspoon origanum
    2 teaspoon mustard powder
    1/2 medium onion grated
    2 teaspoons crushed garlic
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper(optional)
    1/4 cup juice (mango or grape works well)
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons salt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and let it sit for 30 minutes before you add the fillet. Use a bowl that will allow the whole fillet to be covered in the marinade. Leaving the meat overnight in the fridge is better but at least 2 hours is acceptable. Let the meat reach room temperature before you put it on the braai. Braai until medium rare and let the meat rest for 5 to 10 minutes before you cut it.

User

A rub of your choosing followed by generous amounts of either Jimmy's bbq sauce or wellingtons bbq sauce.

For my meat dry rub I enjoy Ina Paarmans meat spice, Ina Paarmans garlic and herb mixed with coarse salt and a tad of brown onion seasoning.

For a wet rub I use the same but I include some Worchester sauce and balsamic vinegar.

User

Zip lock bag, olive oil, green pepper corns lightly crushed, fillet and 2 days in the fringe. Very tasty and you do not loose the meats flavour with to much sauces.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Marc05 View Post
    olive oil...and you do not loose the meats flavour with to much sauces.
    You just ruin the meat's taste and texture :) Sorry marc, this isn't aimed at you, just an observation. My in-laws always marinade there steaks with oil, worcestershire sauce, onion and spices. IMHO the oil causes the meat to fry more than braai. I can definitely taste a difference in both taste and texture when meat was in oil and I don't enjoy it.

Banned

Observant - VERY !
    Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff View Post
    You just ruin the meat's taste and texture :) Sorry marc, this isn't aimed at you, just an observation. My in-laws always marinade there steaks with oil, worcestershire sauce, onion and spices. IMHO the oil causes the meat to fry more than braai. I can definitely taste a difference in both taste and texture when meat was in oil and I don't enjoy it.

Banned

Stir coals - drink beer, do not let beer stand for more than 30seconds. Meat on coals salt pepper, one of Greek salad dressings to keep moist. More beer. Cook fast - drink beer slowly. Start eating the Springbuck wors before cooked. Another beer more wors. Take meat off and realize I should not have eaten so much wors. Oh well got meat for week, look at wife eating rabbit food have another beer. Lifes good.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Stir coals - drink beer, do not let beer stand for more than 30seconds. Meat on coals salt pepper, one of Greek salad dressings to keep moist. More beer. Cook fast - drink beer slowly. Start eating the Springbuck wors before cooked. Another beer more wors. Take meat off and realize I should not have eaten so much wors. Oh well got meat for week, look at wife eating rabbit food have another beer. Lifes good.
    Next time I'm in PE I'm so coming for a braai at your place Treeman!! I'll bring the beer!

User

i do a plain and simple balsamic vinigar, steak and chops spice with some black pepper and salt to taste. leave in a plastic container in fridge for about2-3 hours before braai. makes the meat sooooooooo tender and it tastes fantastic

User

My standard poison is oil, soy sauce, crushed garlic and loads of cracked pepper ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast