Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default More Arrests at Central Firearm Registry

More Arrests at Central Firearm Registry
    By Jacques Olivier 22 Oct 2013

http://www.pacificbreeze353.com/news...ion=51&langu=1
    Pot-Shot has learnt that the first appearance at a disciplinary hearing for the two suspended officers took place on 1 October. Brigadier Mahlabane will be appearing again in a week’s time on charges relating to the irregular issuing of licenses to the security industry whilst Brigadier Mangwane will be appearing in December on charges relating to bribery and fraud with firearms dealerships and importation permits.

Further arrests were made in the past fortnight and more are likely to come as the SAPS are embarking on a sweeping internal clearing-up operation. Unfortunately the suspensions have put further pressure on the issuing of licenses and several applications, especially for semi-automatic rifles, have been delayed due to the non-availability of qualified officers to deal with these applications.

The recent suspension of the two police brigadiers following allegations of bribery and corruption relating to arranging firearms licenses and temporary permits for criminals and other unsavoury individuals has once again highlighted the messy situation at the Central Firearms Registry. Brigadier Mathapelo Merriam Mangwane, section head of the registry and her colleague, Brigadier Hlamane Elias Mahlabane, have been suspended without pay while criminal investigations are undertaken.

An article by Gavin Foster in the September issue of Noseweek has drawn further attention to the nature of the offenses for which the police officials are being prosecuted. The recent operation by military police in arresting two Dave Sheer Guns employees for the alleged trade in stolen military ammunition has led the Hawks to investigate. During the investigation an employee of the gun shop told the Hawks that she had personally delivered large sums of cash to Mangwane at the behest of her employers twice every month, to ensure the swift processing of licenses for customers. These included convicted Nigerian terrorist Henry Okah and self-confessed killer Mikey Schultz, who was granted immunity from prosecution when he turned State witness against Glenn Agliotti after assassinating Brett Kebble.

Firearm law expert Martin Hood of MJ Hood & Associates was quoted in the article saying “A senior member of the Hawks told me they believe that delays were purposely created by the people administering the system to create opportunities for corruption – specifically in the field of temporary authorisations because they’re easier to approve and there’s less control over them in a corrupt system.”
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Banned

Default Re: More Arrests at Central Firearm Registry

Shocking, hopefully my application is far enough along and by a small miracle will be approved......shortly.

User

Eish... And I have an SLR app in at the moment :-(

Stinks to high heaven, but at least there is action being taken. (Obviously, everyone is innocent until prove guilty, so don't take this as a finger-pointing exercise from my side).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PenDragon View Post
    Shocking, hopefully my application is far enough along and by a small miracle will be approved......shortly.
    Good luck. Fortunately my last application (Vektor LM5) was approved about a month ago - took two months and it was declined the first time. Submitted it again with the 3 page motivation shortened down to 3 sentences and it was approved.

SD application for a pistol I bought for a friend of mine is still in process and she handed hers in almost 5 months ago

FFFOOOOOOKKKKK no wonder my DSS Shotgun Lic is taking so long... It's kinda blessing and a curse. Curse i want it NOW, Blessing i need to collect it in Knysna so if they can have it finished in December it will be PERFECT for leave!

User

My firearm bought 2 months ago is still not on the dealers register. It's a sad situation at CFR.

User

I handed in 2 apps yesterday. Went with a friend, when the DFO checked his existing licenses, according to the system they are back in the importers stock and he doesn't have licenses for his G17 and 30-06. Lol. Not a pleasant situation.

I just hope my apps by some miracle get processed quickly and correctly. Holding thumbs...

Friend of mine just got a licence for a 6" 357. 41 days from handing in the app to receiving the licence. Not too bad.

Whereas mine took 65 days from submission to approval. And then the owner of the shop I bought it from told me a S21 has no use these days.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I was also told by DFO about the sec21's but I took the R140 gamble anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast