Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sausage stuffer / Wors stopper

Rather than sitting around idly though I would use my time gainfully. You will recall that I vowed no butcher will see my venison again so I bought a commercial mincer. To this I was going to add a Sausage stuffer but due to circumstances money is rather tight so decided to try my hand at making one.

So this is the view from the side. The two slots are for table clamps, not yet made. You will also note that the crank handle is absent as this too is yet to be made.

The next pic show the business end. The entire front is removable to facilitate loading of the sausage mixture.

This the rear view, not the hinges. The slot in the base is to accomodate the threaded rod.

The next view is the stuffer being prepared for loading.

Finally we have the internals. The plunger is removed and at the bottom you can see the two bevelled gears. Turning the crank turn the gears which drives the plunger forward or backwards.

The thread 5/8ths BSF so I needed to buy as threaded rod R450, what a rip off. The pitch means that for every 14rpm the plunger advances by 25mm, with the internal ID of 138mm this means that at a cranking speed of 30rpm (very slow)that 30cm of wors will be produced every 11 seconds. Cranking at 60rpm, the planned speed, boerewors will be coming out at a reasonable rate of knots. Using the small nozzle one would have to crank at 30rpm to get the same speed of thinner wors.

The useable volume is 6.5l.

I am chuffed at the final result, I think it looks good.

Just need to get the correct size O Rings for the plunger, attach the plunger to the threaded bar, cut the threaded bar to length. Make the crank and the table clamps (doubt if they will be needed) and a system to lock the front in place.

Cheers
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Default Re: Sausage stuffer / Wors stopper

Looks really good.

User

Nice work.

Make the table clamps. Quite a bit of force needed to turn my commercial machine. Will be a PITA without them.

Banned

The proof of the pudding... when can we have a tasting?

User

Very nice Andrew

User

Love the idea and really hope it works. I have some reservation though as Mince with all the added stuff does not "flow" real well and the pressure required to extrude the mix would be rather high. Add to this that you have a big plunger feeding into a small out feed hole.

Really hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    I have some reservation though as Mince with all the added stuff does not "flow" real well and the pressure required to extrude the mix would be rather high. Add to this that you have a big plunger feeding into a small out feed hole.
    I merely duplicated commercially available units so can't see why it would not work. Commerical units have a larger ID requiring more pressure. Remember the old VW jacks? Exactly the same principle, threaded bar with two bevelled gears, those jacks lifted one side of a Beetle off the ground. Never underestimate the mechanical advantage of a screw thread, that is why there are three threaded rods to retain the pressure that will come to bear against the front cap.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Nice work Andrew, and very neat job. I tend to build a couple of prototypes before I build my "one to keep", of most things that I fiddle with...they are thus mostly not fit for photographing!

I am very keen to see some "action pics" showing growing piles of boerie! Do we have to wait for next season, or do you have a test run planned?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    growing piles of boerie!
    I'm struggling to not picture this

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    boerie
    You have not the slightest inclination of how much I hate that word.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast