User

Default .303 Lee Enfield

Hi all

A guy contacted me the other day about a .303 Lee Enfield that he is selling. Im not sure of the model, but according to him it has fired less than 100 rounds in the last 20 years. He is going to e-mail me pictures so I can see what model it is, Ill post them here when they arrive.

What are these rifles worth more or less? Obviously dependant on model and condition. I know there is a thread about refurbishing one, but I was wondering who out there has one, and what their impressions are?

Thanks guys hpy180

User

Default Re: .303 Lee Enfield

At the moment they are not worth very much, in my opinion, probably around R1500 for a reasonable one. What I do believe though is that they are going to become worth much more as the licensing fiasco starts blowing over. Almost every second firearm owner had one lying in his safe, but many have been handed in or sold and the ones that will be eventually around will be in the hands of people who cherish them, as it should be. Then I predict you are going to pay for one! So hang onto that one and keep it original if it is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    Hi all

A guy contacted me the other day about a .303 Lee Enfield that he is selling. Im not sure of the model, but according to him it has fired less than 100 rounds in the last 20 years. He is going to e-mail me pictures so I can see what model it is, Ill post them here when they arrive.

What are these rifles worth more or less? Obviously dependant on model and condition. I know there is a thread about refurbishing one, but I was wondering who out there has one, and what their impressions are?

Thanks guys hpy180
    Greyhound, what happened with this rifle?

Regards,
    Clem

User

What can make enfield rifles valuable, is if all the bits and pieces are original. IE, Bolt, bolt face, sights, foreguard etc. Each normally has the serial number of the rifle engraved on it. Plus the general condition.

I picked up a nice 303 No1 MkIII, that shot well, but at some time had undergone refurbishment,and none of the parts matched. I offered the guy R500 and he accepted.

User

Old Thread, but I just have to reply. What makes an enfield valuable is obviously rarity of the model and secondly if all the serial numbers coincide. Meaning if your bolt has the same serial number as your barrel and action and stock and mag. This depends on the model. On a No1 Mk111 you only have serial numbers on the action and on the bolt. As far as I am aware there are no numbers on the stock and mag. With the later models like the No4 Mk2 you have the serial numbers on the mag, bolt, action and stock. If all the numbers coincide then you have a valuable piece. I bought a No1 Mk111* recently for R800. Bargain! Such a gun in fair condition should sell for about R1400. Mine however has matching serial numbers and has a near perfect bore. The externals of the rifle are also in exceptional condition. In the UK such a rifle would sell for around 500 - 600 pounds. I would suggest hold on to your rifle, DO NOT SPORT IT, then it will loose all its value. Rather buy a 2nd hand hunting rifle and cherish your enfield.

User

good day everyone.
    didn't want to start a new thread as this one can still be helpful. a question for all the lee enfield experts. does anyone know for a fact if the no4 mk2 have a free or full floating barrel?
    i was at my fa dealer on saturday to check my rifle and noted that the barrel has some play in the fore stock (full stock rifle). is this normal?

User

The bottom section of the stock is attached with three screws back near the action.
    The top section is attached to the bottom section with clamps.
    Apart from those three screws nothing else attaches to (or is supposed to touch) the barrel.
    So yes on a standard 303 there is some flex/movement.

User

thanks spike,that's good to know. just thought it should've been solid.