Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default SD licence for under 21's

Hi guys

Can someone please give me the rundown what exactly is necessary for a under 21 to apply for a licence to possess a firearm.

Or

just point me to a thread which I have missed, that discusses the topic.
    mobile search was less than helpfull.

much appreciated!

Thanks!

User

Default Re: SD licence for under 21's

As far as I understand, it will be easier to get a rifle then a SD handgun. Your parents can sign consent etc etc..

However, if you have dedicated hunting or sport-shooting status then you may apply for a firearm licensed under sport shooting or dedicated hunting.

If you don't have dedicated sport or hunting status and really want to get it going now, then the easiest would be NSA or NAT shoot ( http://www.natshoot.co.za/ ). Use someone else's firearms, shoot the targets at a club and send them in and follow their instructions etc. Once you have dedicated, you can apply for a firearms license under section 16 of the FCA.

I don't think you are able to get a SD licensed FA under age 21.

I would just wait it out. Use this time to do research and find the exact firearm/s you want and buy it. You can do your competency in the meantime and when you are 21, hand in the application for your license. That is what I did.

I decided to get my firearms when I was 20. I used the time to get all info, window shop etc.. Did my competency and bought my firearms. A week before my 21st birthday, I handed in all my applications..

If you want a more specific answer, please ask a more specific question

User

I got my SD firearm when I was 18 but my dad had to give consent because I was a "minor", but at the same time, I was actively serving in the military.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    As far as I understand, it will be easier to get a rifle then a SD handgun. Your parents can sign consent etc etc..

However, if you have dedicated hunting or sport-shooting status then you may apply for a firearm licensed under sport shooting or dedicated hunting.

If you don't have dedicated sport or hunting status and really want to get it going now, then the easiest would be NSA or NAT shoot ( http://www.natshoot.co.za/ ). Use someone else's firearms, shoot the targets at a club and send them in and follow their instructions etc. Once you have dedicated, you can apply for a firearms license under section 16 of the FCA.

I don't think you are able to get a SD licensed FA under age 21.

I would just wait it out. Use this time to do research and find the exact firearm/s you want and buy it. You can do your competency in the meantime and when you are 21, hand in the application for your license. That is what I did.

I decided to get my firearms when I was 20. I used the time to get all info, window shop etc.. Did my competency and bought my firearms. A week before my 21st birthday, I handed in all my applications..

If you want a more specific answer, please ask a more specific question
    This is what I was looking for, thanks alot!
    ive done my research... comprehensively... over the last few years haha.

all thats left to do know is go fire everything on the shortlist and decide!

I'll just wait it out!
    getting a bit impateint I guess!

great forum, thanks!

User

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeOfWar View Post
    This is what I was looking for, thanks alot!
    ive done my research... comprehensively... over the last few years haha.

all thats left to do know is go fire everything on the shortlist and decide!

I'll just wait it out!
    getting a bit impateint I guess!

great forum, thanks!

User

This has been discussed before, I believe another member here did get his before. 21. I did my competency/safe purchase while waiting.

User

I got mine approved when I was 20, it was not without a hitch or two. Bought it from Southern and wanted to go for a oss lisence but was advised to just go for a SD and that I shouldn't have a problem so I took his advise he also showed me his motivation and I got some help. So off to DFO motivation and all docs in hand. Now for a month it did not move from Honeydew saps, and then they couldn't find it. Turns out it was sitting on the stations Brigadiers desk, he was worried about my age and didn't want to sign it or something.I went through and spoke to a LtColnol there and he told me he will get it sorted out ,one week later it was at CFR and was approved not long after. My advise I to go for it.

User

I also got my SD license when I was 20, there was a lot of motivating involved as well as consent from both my parents, needed to substantiate my motivation well, it was a lot of work however there were no issues with getting the license. It is possible.

User

+ @ ravingDIODE

I wont say a SD license is impossible before 21, as you can see it has been done and yes you can get it with S16 but been under 21 and licensing it under S16 with the purpose of using it for SD (which would be S13) might cause problems if you ever land up using it. I wont say you will defiantly be in trouble since in the FCA it says the same thing (check for the threads).

Their are a couple of threads based on S16 for EDC and so on so I dont want to say alot about that but I will tell you what I was told by my DFO (this will differ from DFO to DFO) my DFO knows/has an idea who I am (they dont know my name [well that is what I think] off by heart but when he sees me walk in the building he immediately recognizes me and knows my age and so on) now iv handed in a few applications (competencies and licenses) and they told me I can license anything I want and it does not matter what, the only thing they wont let me do is a S13 till im 21 (which is next year).

Iv got a rifle at the moment, busy waiting for my 9mmP to be approved.

Sorry about the late post, just been studying for my college exam

If you don't want to jump through all the club hoops the law states you, now a under 21,can get one if you can prove you are gainfully employed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast