Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default 44. Mag Hunting revolver.

Hi

I want to get myself a hunting revolver. I am currently looking a the Taurus Raging Bull in .44 mag or the Ruger Super Red or Black Hawk in .44 Mag.

Any thoughts on what pricing is here in SA on the Raging Bull, are they even available? I have seen older model 44 Rugers for around 5-8K. Can you get the newer model 44 Rugers in SA and what are the prices like?

Also any tips on who might have some in stock to go and have a look at some of these revolvers would be great.

What magnification scopes do you normally fit to these revolvers and also who does this kind of work here in JHB.

It will be used for plains game animals not dangerous game.

Any other tips on hunting revolvers would be appreciated.

User

Default Re: 44. Mag Hunting revolver.

Also consider the Taurus M44 8". Lighter, cheaper and, if you ask me, better looking. If you're going to get a Raging Bull, you might as well bite the bullet and get the .454 Casull! It'll give you a little more range (important to plains game) and enables the firing of heavier bullets, if you ever want to take down something bigger.

Hi Black-ops

I am a fan of the Rugers, and hunt with a SBH with open sights. The Rugers are a bit brutish, but have built a reputation for being tough and capable of chewing through full house hunting loads. I can definitely recommend either a SRH or a SBH. The new SBH "Hunter" comes with a set of proprietary scope rings and features purpose built mounting points on the barrel rib - which will bring down the cost of fitting a scope. I enjoy the old school charm of the SBH, and given that all my "hunting" shots will be from single action, I do not think that it gives up anything to the double action revolvers.

I also have a S&W686 (357Mag) with a Leupold 2x scope on it. I am strongly considering dropping the scope and getting a Trijicon RMR, as I find the scope ungainly and 2x gives very little (noticeable?) magnification IMO.

Now if you really want to "pee your pant", phone Kalahari Arms and ask whether they still have a Freedom Arms revolver in stock. Pricey, but the unchallenged Rolls Royce of the single action revolver world!

I cant help with a pointer as to who may have stock of the others in the JHB area.

2 comments on Toxxyc's post:

- I don't think that "lighter" is an advantage in a hunting revolver.
    - while 454Cas will allow you to shoot heavier bullets, I do not think that it add anything practical in terms of range. I find that the shooter's ability (might just be mine?) from field shooting positions limits range more than external ballistics do.

It would be good if Paul, Mokwepa, KK20 and/or Burner could add to this thread, as they all have a lot of handgun hunting experience - much more than mine. They all gave me good pointers when I started around 3 years ago.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Also consider the Taurus M44 8". Lighter, cheaper and, if you ask me, better looking. If you're going to get a Raging Bull, you might as well bite the bullet and get the .454 Casull! It'll give you a little more range (important to plains game) and enables the firing of heavier bullets, if you ever want to take down something bigger.
    That M44 also looks great who can I phone for price comparison on the these puppy's? Nicyale?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post

- while 454Cas will allow you to shoot heavier bullets, I do not think that it add anything practical in terms of range. I find that the shooter's ability (might just be mine?) from field shooting positions limits range more than external ballistics do.

It would be good if Paul, Mokwepa, KK20 and/or Burner could add to this thread, as they all have a lot of handgun hunting experience - much more than mine. They all gave me good pointers when I started around 3 years ago.
    Thanks, definitely want the 44 caliber.

User

Hi Black-ops

I am a fan of the Rugers, and hunt with a SBH with open sights. The Rugers are a bit brutish, but have built a reputation for being tough and capable of chewing through full house hunting loads. I can definitely recommend either a SRH or a SBH. The new SBH "Hunter" comes with a set of proprietary scope rings and features purpose built mounting points on the barrel rib - which will bring down the cost of fitting a scope. I enjoy the old school charm of the SBH, and given that all my "hunting" shots will be from single action, I do not think that it gives up anything to the double action revolvers.

I also have a S&W686 (357Mag) with a Leupold 2x scope on it. I am strongly considering dropping the scope and getting a Trijicon RMR, as I find the scope ungainly and 2x gives very little (noticeable?) magnification IMO.

Now if you really want to "pee your pant", phone Kalahari Arms and ask whether they still have a Freedom Arms revolver in stock. Pricey, but the unchallenged Rolls Royce of the single action revolver world!

I cant help with a pointer as to who may have stock of the others in the JHB area.
    Sweet who can I phone with regards to pricing on the Rugers?

User

VLT in pta or Guns and bows are the Ruger guys as far as I know

Exactly as Henlo B said - VLT or Guns and Bows.

A bit more on my opinion regarding the weight of the hunting revolver - I find heavy revolvers are easier on the wrists when shooting heavy recoiling loads (less "snap" - if that makes sense). But they are still "light" and "small" when compared to a rifle, and hence you still enjoy these advantages when hunting with them.

BTW, City Guns in CPT have a Thompson Contender in 44Mag in stock. Before you flame me, I know that it is not the revolver that you said in your OP that you are looking for, but it is a wonderful handgun for hunting. The one they have there is in beautiful condition!

User

Acknowledged.

I MUST add that my experience with hunting revolvers is only what I read in books and on the interwebs, as it's a big dream of mine to own one someday.

Then, I agree with the weight issue - but take note that both revolvers feature multiport compensators. The weight difference is 6oz (in the 8" models - that's 170g), not too much but it'll make a difference when the gun is to be carried for hours on end. Will this slight weight on a 1.7kg~1.8kg gun (loaded) make such a big difference? It's a 10% margin.

Really asking, not being stupid (intentionally)!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast