Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Drowning doesn't look like drowning!

After 45 min of no oxygen being delivered to the brain what are his chances of making a full recovery?

So very sad for any family and being over Christmas is even worse.

Just goes to show, near a pool don't take your eyes off your child.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    After 45 min of no oxygen being delivered to the brain what are his chances of making a full recovery?

So very sad for any family and being over Christmas is even worse.

Just goes to show, near a pool don't take your eyes off your child.
    Only time will tell what the amount of damage is. During near drowning, water lowers body temp, which lowers metabolic rate. This protects the brain to some degree.

CPR provides air flow through lungs and blood flow. The whole aim of CPR is to provide oxygen to the tissue while the body can't.

Family saves boy, 2, floating in pool with CPR

2017-05-27 17:20Jenna Etheridge, News24

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...527?isapp=true

Durban - Paramedics praised a Pietermaritzburg family on Saturday for initiating early CPR with their 2-year-old boy who was found floating face-down in the pool.

His parents reportedly found him in the swimming pool of their Scottsville home on Saturday afternoon after they noticed he was missing, said Netcare 911 spokesperson Chris Botha.

When paramedics arrived, they found the family had pulled him from the pool and started with cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

"After the paramedic connected the heart monitor to the child, they found that his heart started to beat again."

Botha said the boy had to be placed on a ventilator and receive advanced life support.

He was stabilised and rushed to hospital in a critical condition.

"According to the paramedic, the success of this resuscitation is directly contributed to the fact that the family started with effective CPR. This is proof once again that early CPR really works," said Botha.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Well done to those getting going with CPR immediately, rather than "waiting for the experts". Thankyou to the professionals for continuing the good work.
    Personally, I have great respect for our paramedics.
    Sadly, I have seen the emotional devastation of a person who unsuccessfully applied CPR on a child. As far as I am concerned, he did everything by the book, except he only got to the victim about a minute or two too late. He never has quite gotten over HIS failure.
    It is a cruel world.

I once did CPR on a dog without a heartbeat. 30 minutes later he was back on his paws.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

interesting thread, its a real eye opener.

User

It's warming up again and the water is looking appealing.

Time to give this thread a bump as a reminder to all

User

Thanks for the reminder bump Dr

User

About 8 years ago, my very best friend and fellow musician.....drowned while surfing in Florida. He was around 50. Beach goers had noticed a surfboard "tombstoning" by the backline. After about 10 minutes of this and alerted by others..... a curious firefighter on the beach, who was also there surfing that day, swam out to investigate. He found my buddy dangling underwater on his leash. He swam my friend into the shore and finding no vitals he started CPR on his lifeless body. The paramedics were called and the ambulance arrived and ran him to hospital, doing whatever they do, but essentially brought in a dead person. At the ER they continued CPR and also had the defib paddles on him but were not getting a heartbeat. They were about to call it a day when the doctor said to crank the machine up full and try again. I believe this may have been beyond what is allowed but I don't know about defib at all. Well, long story shortened a little..... they got him back. He said his chest was black and blue from those paddles.

This is after over 30 minutes of him being clinically dead from drowning.

The short story is that my friend had some issues like memory loss. A fantastic drummer AND guitarist, waaaaaay above average, in fact as good as anyone you can name.......he had to re-teach himself to play and got to about 85% before he started having hand issues. He had also broken his neck that day and it was fused while he was in hospital. I think this is why his hands started going....all the nerves for your hands come out of the C5,6/C6,7 area of your cervical spine.

Maybe he fell awkwardly on a wave or hit his head on the board and broke his neck and thats why he drowned....don't know. He never could remember anything about that day. It was the day after Thanksgiving and he can remember that but nothing about the drowning or that day. Surf reports have then surf as mild and small waves. My bud was in great physical shape. Strong. A mystery although I have a theory.

Eventually he came back nicely. He could remember details and things like childhood phone number and addresses, army number etc but he'd forget a story or joke he told me a day or two before. He was able to transition from his drawing gig for a boat design company into a totally different field working at the NASA Museum or something. Not 100% back to normal but close and the essential man who was my friend from childhood was totally there, incredible sense of humor and all.

Unfortunately, he died about 3 years ago from a massive heart attack the day before Christmas, while hiking in Cape Town...his first day back there on vacation from Florida. I'll forever miss the multi talented funny bastard, until we meet again.

My theory is he had a heart attack while surfing. It turns out that he had a history of heart issues from childhood. I never knew this....as close as we were and trust me we went through a ton of shit together......he never told me that. Apparently he "died" when a child and at the last minute he was revived. I don't think he wanted me or anyone other than family (I found out from his older brother after he died) that he had any sort of "weakness".

Boy, 4, drowns in swimming pool

2017-09-25 06:55Tammy Petersen

iStock
    Multimedia · User Galleries · News in PicturesSend us your pictures · Send us your stories

Johannesburg - A four-year-old boy drowned in a swimming pool in Helderkruin, west of Johannesburg, paramedics have confirmed.
    A family member is understood to have found the boy floating in the pool and pulled him out.
    ER24 spokesperson Russel Meiring said on Sunday night paramedics were called to the scene by a security company and on arrival found a security officer performing CPR on the child near the pool.
    “Advanced life support interventions were also initiated in an effort to revive the boy. Unfortunately, after 45 minutes, no vital signs returned and the boy was declared dead,” he said.

Authorities are investigating.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...-pool-20170924

Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast