Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Drowning doesn't look like drowning!

Read this today and thought it was very interesting if moderators feel it does not belong here please move to a new thread:
    http://thevane.gawker.com/learn-how-...n-s-1692434160

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
    Cape toddler drowns in bucket used for water saving

NEWS / 13 DECEMBER 2017, 09:28AM / MARVIN CHARLES

Cape Town - Daniel and Debbie Weber were collecting rain water to do their bit in the drought, but their 20-month old toddler drowned in a bin filled with water.

Connor Weber from Rondebosch and his sister Grace were left in the care of their nanny while their parents were at work.

The nanny discovered that Connor was missing and went to look for him. She found the little boy in the bin.
    “It is believed that the toddler had apparently fallen into a bin filled with water. Local authorities were on the scene and will be investigating further," ER24 spokesperson Russel Meiring said.

Connor’s heart was still beating and he was rushed to Red Cross War Memorial Children’s hospital where he died on Sunday.

“We are absolutely devastated. For a little boy to be taken away at such a young age. He was healthy, wonderful and there is absolute devastation,” Connor's uncle, Stuart West, said.
    It’s believed that the bin was used as a water collection point due to the drought crisis in the Western Cape.

“It's unspeakable especially in a time of our drought when there’s lots of water lying around we need to raise awareness that little children are vulnerable to these kinds of things,” West said.

On Tuesday a special memorial service was held for the little boy in Keurboom Park, Rondebosch. The service was held underneath a big tree and attended by some of the family's close friends, family and nannies from the area. During the service family members and close friends couldn’t hold back their tears.

“We miss him and we miss running after him. As a family there is great disappointment and anger. It’s tragic,” West said.

The location where the memorial service was held was described as one of Connor’s favourite places to be. His father spoke emotionally at the service.

“No parent should go through something like this. Today we mourn you. You were such a special boy,” he said.

Weber struggled to hold back tears as he recounted special moments with his son.
    “When he needed comfort he would call his mother; he was extremely busy and loved music,” he said.

West said: "I think the family will find comfort in their faith and the family surrounding them and they have Grace; they will continue to pour their love into Grace."
    According to the Medical Research Council statistics, more children drown in buckets and other containers than in swimming pools.

User

As we enter spring...

Good Bump.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

As we go into the December period, this needs a bump.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    As we go into the December period, this needs a bump.
    I absolutely agree.
    Friends of my daughterwere recently spending the afternoon at the pool, both children, one about 7 and the other about 4 were swimming with lifejackets on. At the end of the day when they were finished swimming they took their lifejackets off, mom went into the house and dad got busy with the swimming pool pump. When he looked up the small one was on the bottom of the pool and he did not hear a sound when she fell in. Luckily he saw her in time and got her out. She just vomitted some water and was ok afterwards. They rushed her to hospital where she was given a clear bill of health. Scary stuff!!

Had the biggest fright of my life over the weekend.

My 4.5 year old was walking and playing on steps of pool at neighbors house. I was sitting on side of pool looking at neighbors 2 year old, paying on other side of pool on steps, maybe 5 seconds passed of me not looking at my son. He must have slipped from steps, I heard nothing, I just looked back and saw my son struggling to keep his head above water. I pulled him out with one swift move, but he was shaken.

This after he has had swimming lessons for more than a year. I was even at the class where they showed us that he can swim, turn on his back and monkey on the side to get to steps - but this was in controlled environment with one on one instruction. When push came to shove, he just froze up.

Banned

I'd now rather be safe than sorry, I make litey wear a neoprene life jacket whenever he's near water, like a pool, dam etc.
    I'd rather be over cautious and look stupid, but be safe

good to remember!

User

With the hot days, many of us are opening our pools again, so I thought I'd give this a bump.

Keep safe and keep the little ones safe as well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast