Page 42 of 68 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauteng E-tolls

User

Default Re: Gauteng E-tolls

I will bet anything on the planet that the recommendations of this advisory panel will have absolutely no influence whatsoever on the status of the eTrolling fiasco. The recommendations section of the final report has probably already been given to the panel for inclusion in their report.

The only thing that will kill eTrolls is civil disobedience because they will be unable to prosecute hundreds of thousands of offenders.

User

Read on another thread: The constitution give everyone the right to consultation - It does not say that they have to listen.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Rumor has it all e-tag accounts have been frozen since 1 Oct. our GM has an e-tag. Says he hasn't paid it since the commission was established. When checking with the centre was told this.

User

I was just thinking of these fine people this morning

User

They've left the prosecution option for too long. There are people owing tens of thousands or more already. Most would be unable to pay their "accounts" even if they wanted to. All I know is that if TSHTF I will be donating to OUTA to assist with their legal fees. Whatever I pay will still be cheaper than etolls. The sooner etoll dies, the better.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by bcs View Post
    They've left the prosecution option for too long. There are people owing tens of thousands or more already. Most would be unable to pay their "accounts" even if they wanted to. All I know is that if TSHTF I will be donating to OUTA to assist with their legal fees. Whatever I pay will still be cheaper than etolls. The sooner etoll dies, the better.
    Hmmm... so... what role might the National Credit Act play here? Surely if you allow consumers to run up unsecured accounts that is reckless lending?

Are these not incidental credit agreements?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hmmm... so... what role might the National Credit Act play here? Surely if you allow consumers to run up unsecured accounts that is reckless lending?

Are these not incidental credit agreements?
    Interesting angle. I think that they got some sort of exclusion form the NCA at some point to protect their interests. You know, because government needs protection form their people. (sarcasm on)

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Interesting angle. I think that they got some sort of exclusion form the NCA at some point to protect their interests. You know, because government needs protection form their people. (sarcasm on)
    True... http://www.itweb.co.za/index.php?opt...ticle&id=63939

Dammit!
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    OTOH...
    “It must be understood that the incidental credit accrued as part of the e-tolling system does not fit the definition of credit under the NCA. The amendment to the Bill is an attempt to clear up any legal ambiguity in terms of credit.”
    He says reasons for the provision in the bill are as follows:
    “E-tolling is a prepaid process, but a seven day grace period is given for payment. This is not a provision of credit.”
    Until they charge 1c of interest on outstanding amounts... Then they ARE an incidental credit agreement.
    Unknown Barbarian

User

There are a number of other quasi-legal methods, but they would involve mass public participation to be effective. Those methods are fairly interesting, so I'll mention them, but not endorse them.

I've done a bit of research on the etoll system, and it really is quite a clever thing. The OCR in particular takes into account reflections and shadows, and so even if there's a strong visual contrast from one edge of the number plate to the other, the computer program breaks the plate down into individual characters and applies filters to each character to make it legible.

I remember reading somewhere where somebody said it might be an idea to have moderately dirty plates, so that, while they are legible to the naked eye, the OCR has problems identifying characters. There's supposedly a backup of actual people sorting through the plates the OCR has problems with. Of course, if everybody's plates threw up even one mismatch a day, that would mean probably a million or more naked-eye interpretations a day. Needless to say that would drive up operating costs.

What other people have advocated doing is re-mailing their invoices. Apparently those invoices are permit mail, and every time they are posted the etollers have to pay for it. Obviously collection costs would increase exponentially if people did that.

However, in my opinion, the only way to beat the etolls for good is to vote the ANC out of power. Gauteng is already on a knife-edge for them. It would send a salutary message that next time, maybe they ought to take the public's opinions into account.

Page 42 of 68 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast