Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Izak

Default Martini Henry .577/.450

Anyone here own one? This is a gun that has always floated my boat. Also on my wish list. Actually keeping a space open in my safe for one of them. Just been wondering if anyone can tell me what the availability is for proper turned brass cases... :-\

Any feedback on this gun ie: long range accuracy, reliability, recoil, reloading, patching etc etc ect will be appreciated.

Oh yes, and ofcourse some pics. ;D

User

Default Re: Martini Henry .577/.450

Agreed. This is the gun that will make me join SAAACA, as a lot of them were used during the first and second Boer wars. Would also like to hear some feedback.

Is this what you mean?

User

Yip, that's the one ;D

I happen to own one but as it has been in the family for many moons I would probable never sell it. Brass can be a problem and the turned brass can be tricky and expensive if you do manage to source some. About 20 years ago I got some from GRC but they have closed down. I have heard rumors that Bell makes turned cases for the Martini.

If you do get some remember to break them is carefully. Start with light loads and them build up during time. This will cause the cases to gently stretch until they fit your rifles chamber. When that is finished never lend your cases to anyone ans they rifles chamber might differ and this could cause your cases to either not fit the chamber or crack. If they have cracked you are out of pocket by quite a bit. About 20 years ago I paid about R20 per case and my cases have lasted me all this years.

The Martini has an incredible short lock time but as the rifles are quite old let a knowledgeable rifle smith check it out carefully before you shoot it.

Izak

Robert, thats exactly what I mean. ;D

Johann, thanks for your input. Tell me, what kind of accuracy do you get at distances beyond 150m? ???

Further than 150 meters? We here in the "Isten Cape" do not shoot further than we can walk/crawl in a day. I have never attempted a shot at 150 meters as Bushbuck over here come out right at your feet and not at 150 meters. At 100 meters I can constantly hit a target the size of a side plate all day long(OK 10 times as I only have 10 cases)

I shoot a 550gr bullet at about 1200f/sec for hunting. Please note this works in my Henry but it just might destroy yours, work up carefully to this.

Izak

Thanks Johan. Was curious since the original manuals described the MH as being at its most effective at 400yds. ::) :D

I really hope I can get one in good condition.

Hi All

Always wanted one of these too, my grandfather had one of these, and when he passed away (many moons ago), it was left to my cousin :'(. Ever since then I wanted to get one, and finally did. Theres just something about these golden oldies.

Now black powder is really starting to look appealing. I bought a Euro Arms Remington 1858 Navy .36 a while back, but haven't fired it yet. Anyone got or used one of these? Any opinions on them?

User

I have fired the euroarms .36 revolver colt sheriff's edition. Reasonably accurate up to 15m. Using sannadex pistol grain and the standard roundball. When using WANO you will have to clean the barrel after about two loads. ie 12 shots before it will become sticky with residue. Great fun to shoot.

However, we are hijacking this thread, and I suggest you start a new topic for this revolver.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast