Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Car Safes for Firearm Storage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Hough View Post
    They actually remove the seat cut away the metal support strut beneath the seat and then they install the safe.
    Over my dead body.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Hough View Post
    Each safe is car model specific.
    Not on my cars they aren't. Standard safes fit just fine out of sight.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

It took them roughly 4 hours or so to fit mine. Brilliant job too, no rattles, no funny parts protruding and hidden away perfectly. It is pricey yes, but you get what you pay for, in my case I got a 3mm/6mm safe fitted expertly withou any fuss.

Okay, then I can understand the price.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

I have manufactured and installed a few car safes.

I went to see my DFO last week regarding vehicle safes. Not interested to hear about it or sign it off at all. No matter what.

User

About the certificate: Can a certificate be "self issued" ? - I don't see why not, it should be notarized somehow.
    About the safe: Can you build and install your own, or modify an existing one built to SABS specs (I've seen an example on this site somewhere, installed a bakkie and signed off by the DFO)

And I suppose if the vehicle serial numbers change ( eg new motor/chassis/serial numbers) you just "reinstall" the safe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post
    About the certificate: Can a certificate be "self issued" ? - I don't see why not, it should be notarized somehow. About the safe: Can you build and install your own, or modify an existing one built to SABS specs (I've seen an example on this site somewhere, installed a bakkie and signed off by the DFO) And I suppose if the vehicle serial numbers change ( eg new motor/chassis/serial numbers) you just "reinstall" the safe ?
    In theory you can issue your own certificate IMHO. The SABS standard referred to above only requires the installer to issue a certificate with certain info on it. The standard does not define "installer" in any way, shape or form.

Ok, this topic is hanging in the air on several forums. We really need to get clarity...

Is there a way to get a certificate apart from asking the DFO to sign off on the installation? My family and I go camping on a regular basis. What do I do with my handgun when we go swimming? I need to lock it in a safe. Either in my car or caravan.

Apart from Nissi, that was mentioned earlier, (because they don't issue certificates if they don't do the installation), who can issue such a certificate? Also, what info should be on said certificate?

Even with the best safe money could buy i would not want to store a firearm in a vehicle. I am part of chat group for Gateng Crime Intelligence, an assortment of CPFs, law enforcement, EMS and other related parties. Almost every day there are scores of reported vehicle thefts and hijackings. Probabilites are bad, so count me out, i will not go the car safe route.

User

There are also incidents reported of house safes being removed!

User

Car safes are very useful for people who have no other alternative regarding storage at their work place, and numerous other scenarios which would otherwise force them to go about their daily lives unarmed. It is good to take cognisance of the risks involved, but if the fear of having your car stolen prevents you from making use of such a device, one must also factor in what would happen if your house is burgled and your safe broken out. There is a fine line between risk management, and the borders of victim blaming.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast