Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Car Safes for Firearm Storage

Are there any known installers in CT?

User

I think Nissi have approved fitment centres in Cape Town. Perhaps give them a holler and ask?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    Car safes are very useful for people who have no other alternative regarding storage at their work place, and numerous other scenarios which would otherwise force them to go about their daily lives unarmed. It is good to take cognisance of the risks involved, but if the fear of having your car stolen prevents you from making use of such a device, one must also factor in what would happen if your house is burgled and your safe broken out. There is a fine line between risk management, and the borders of victim blaming.
    Exactly.

My current job requires me to visit sites where I cannot take a firearm from time to time. Worse, I never know in advance when it will happen.

So, considering a car safe because it'll be the difference between being armed most of the time or never on a weekday.

User

Did a quick search on the crime stats. From April 2005 up to March 2015 "Burglary at residential premises" has been much higher than "Theft of motor vehicle".
    In Gauteng alone it is ± 68700 vs ± 40100 per year.

I'm also willing to bet that most vehicles are stolen in shopping mall parking areas and driveways etc. Compared to let's say secured corporate parking areas.

So, while out and about it will normally be on your person and not in your car. I have certain clients which are about two to ten hours drive from my house with secure parking where I may not carry and I get scanned and various other checks get performed (mines).

I can definitely see the value of having a certified safe in my vehicle for those once in a blue moon type scenarios.

I'll add that secured parking areas are not infallible but at least I'm covered by the law then if my vehicle is stolen while my pistol is in the safe.

User

SANS 953-1 pertaining to the above: If anyone has access to this can you please pm me . Thanks

I would think that a car safe is more of a legal liability management measure than a strategy to keep your valuable, collectors edition firearm secure from thieves. You are going to keep the firearm you use as a daily tool in there. Not your family heirloom gun. If it gets stolen along with your vehicle, well, you replace it. The vehicle is likely worth hundreds of thousands of rands. The firearm, maybe R10,000. At least you are not legally liable, given that you took the required safe storage precautions.

I finally had a car safe(B3)installed by Nissi safes, and I am very happy with the service I received.

I personally have a need for such a device, and have been contemplating getting a safe fitted for a few years now. I have considered the Pro's and Con's for my personal situation.

First and foremost it must comply with the law , as I am a responsible firearm owner.
    Last year I changed work , and no lock-up facilities are available.
    The main purpose of the safe would be to lock up my FA while at work.
    The secondary purpose would be for when I go camping (which we do a lot), and would like to go swimming and showering, and need a safe place to store my FA for a short time.

At no stage will I leave the FA in the safe , while the car is parked in a dodgy area. There is access control at work for the parking lot.While camping, the car will always be in sight/close proximity.

From all the statistics I have read , the risk of a house break-in is by far higher than a theft of a vehicle. I drive a Land Rover , which is a lower risk with regards to theft , if compared to Toyota, BMW and VW, ext. I also have a tracking unit installed.

What's important to me? Is to have my FA on me , and if not , easily accessible to me. A car safe makes this possible in my situation.

Can my car get stolen with the FA in the safe? Possible , but not Probable.
    Can my FA be stolen when in my safe at home? Possible , the time it takes the security response to get there will determine how much time the burglars have.
    Does a safe in my car allow me more accessibility to my FA? Definitely.

Now , to go visit the DFO , I really hope all goes well , seeing as a DFO already told me outright that a civilian is not allowed to store a FA in a car safe, even if it is professionaly installed, certified and complies with SABS 953-1 standard for B3 safes.

User

Why do you need to visit the DFO? It isn't a legal requirement that he inspects EVERY safe you have.

Can you share details of where you had it fitted and what the cost was? Need to install one in my Land Rover ad well but Alberton where Nissi themselves are based is a little out of my way. PM me if you don't want to share on the open forum.

User

Sort of a necro. But hey, perhaps this sticky will then actually get read again, you never know...

Had a safe installed in my vehicle by Nissi. It took some time, they first wanted to fit it under the driver's seat. After removing the whole seat, they found that there is not enough space, a (fuel?) tank or something makes a "bulge" under the seat. Eventually it was installed under the passenger side seat. Looks very nice, very sturdy and out of sight. It took some time though - Booked my vehicle in just after 8 AM and hung around for about an hour observing. Collected at 3 PM after they called me at 2 PM. This on a Saturday nogal. Owner was very nice and loaned me his vehicle for the day despite knowing that I wanted to go back to Pretoria from Alberton (70km one way!). So yeah, R2800 excluding VAT may sound steep but there's a lot of labour in the installation accompanied by good service too. The owner didn't expect any payment for usage of his vehicle but I filled it up with a bit more than the diesel I used. I'm too nice like that, that's why I'll never get rich.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    Sort of a necro. But hey, perhaps this sticky will then actually get read again, you never know...

Had a safe installed in my vehicle by Nissi. It took some time, they first wanted to fit it under the driver's seat. After removing the whole seat, they found that there is not enough space, a (fuel?) tank or something makes a "bulge" under the seat. Eventually it was installed under the passenger side seat. Looks very nice, very sturdy and out of sight. It took some time though - Booked my vehicle in just after 8 AM and hung around for about an hour observing. Collected at 3 PM after they called me at 2 PM. This on a Saturday nogal. Owner was very nice and loaned me his vehicle for the day despite knowing that I wanted to go back to Pretoria from Alberton (70km one way!). So yeah, R2800 excluding VAT may sound steep but there's a lot of labour in the installation accompanied by good service too. The owner didn't expect any payment for usage of his vehicle but I filled it up with a bit more than the diesel I used. I'm too nice like that, that's why I'll never get rich.
    Nice one.

You didn't by any chance get to discuss whether there was a specific requirement for immobilizer/alarm/tracker/24 hour armed guard on the vehicle?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast