Default Black powder loads for a colt marshal . 44

Hi
    I am new to black powder shooting.
    I am buying a colt marshal .44 but have no idea what powder and how many grains to load .Where is the best place to find out.
    thanks

User

Default Re: Black powder loads for a colt marshal . 44

Where are you located? If in the Pretoria area visit NSN arms and ammo in Silverton, they sell blackpowder weapons, shoot it themselves and will be able to answer your question and more. I don't know the colt marshall, but I do know the 1851 Colt, navy model. It uses 24 grains of black powder, and although the south african version, sannadex is lighter (same measured volume as for 24 grains of original black powder amounts to +/- 17 grains) it works just as well. It might be that those type of revolvers uses the same amount (24 grains) but IMO it is better to be sure than sorry.
    Hope it helps.

Thanks for the info.
    I am from wp so I could not make it to Pretoria . Good luck for Saturday , I have to cheer for the Vrystaat ""
    I have a bit of swartklip blackpowder it only say 20g on it .I put it over the chrony , but I have to find the feet per sec .You dont have it ?

thanks

User

I haven't actually searched on the internet, but i'm sure you'll find the specs there... I bought a container for the sannadex that i'm using with a premeasured spout for 24 grains to load the gun with, it works like a charm. Where does it say 20g? on the blackpowder? and for what? Remember, as with modern powder you get different types of blackpowder, you get grains that are larger,designed for rifles, and then the finer type, also known as pistol grain. The rifle grain burns longer and is designed for the longer barrel the bullet travels through. The finer grained pistol powder burns faster and is designed for the shorter barrel of a revolver/pistol. For a rifle the usual load would be between 100-180 grains of powder. As I said before the 1851 model uses 24 grains.... I don't know if the powder you got states that you should use 20 grains in a revolver or if your revolver's manual says so... If you give me a few secs I'll see if I can find anything on the net. Also if I can find the bullet speed. I know the 1851 .44caliber's impact is about the same as a modern .38 special...

User

Don't know if it's correct, but the net is showing a 1851 colt, navy model under search for colt marshall... however I know you got the regular model (which had the long barrel) and a sherrif's model (which had a shorter barrel) Don't know if the marshall model is perhaps the sherrif's model? Either or... I think you'll be safe with 24grains of powder.
    could you perhaps add a pic of the gun here?

User

Confirmed, the Colt Marshall is the shorter barrelled Colt, navy model. I've searched the web... they recommend anything from 16grains to 27 grains, but if the frame is brass.... ( as is mine) the higher charge is bad for the soft brass frame... they recommend a lower charge... now, as I said, i'm loading the 24grain measure when I load, but the measure was designed for original black powder. The sannadex is about 17 grains for the same measure, so i'm loading safe. they claim about 850fps (feet per second) for this type of gun. So there you go. Hope it helps.
    and....I'm also shouting for the Freestate... i support the sharks, but unfortunately....... anyway.... I don't talk about it... md217

Thanks for the info
    This colt marshal is steel like s/steel but not stainlessteel.
    I load 20 grains of black powder but not sure about the powder . It only say swartklip g 20 on it. What worry me is that the cci cabs no 10 is flat or broken after shooting. I will chronograft them but I know about rifles that speed is just half the story the presure is the problem.
    thanks

User

I may be wrong, but it might be normal for the caps to be exploded/broken after firing. Try loading only caps without any powder or lead balls, and fire it. I have done this, and the caps were also exploded. i think it is just because of the explosive nature of the caps, not because of an exessive load.