Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Man, son killed in wildebeest attack.

Quote Originally Posted by fivefivesix View Post
    Tragic news...went for hikes in klipriver nature reserve and came up twice upto 90m of lone black bull..looked highly pissed we were ther..even laughed at my G19 saving us if he started to charge
    I had exactly same experience at exactly the same place.

Banned

I was always under the impression that Black W/Beeste were generally considered aggressive and very dangerous animals. Just something I always knew - correctly or not ?. Was told many a times by farmers in Adelaide, Bedford, Grahamstown area. Something also about lone animals, was a long time ago but stored as factual. Ostrich B/Buck B/Pig B/W Bees and a Boerbok Ram was the listing. And the last being the animal that F"d me up the most.

Banned

Just been told "no David its the Blue One that the farmers said is a good guard animal" so now which is the aggressive one?

Pity the guy didn't at least have a handgun on him.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Ostrich B/Buck B/Pig B/W Bees and a Boerbok Ram was the listing. And the last being the animal that F"d me up the most.
    Treeman, would you care to tell us a little more?

User

Ostrich I can understand, aggression is well documented. Bushpig as well. I'm even sure I have read of boerboks that get aggresive. I know of a "tame" female blesbuck that rammed her horn through her owner's knee.

User

Wildebeest is just an anomaly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    First time I've heard of a wildebeest charging a human. Anyone know of this happening before?
    Charged me before! Not even camped either. On a hunting expedition, I was waiting for Impala to follow their usual routine in crossing the Limpopo river early one morning and surprised a small herd of Blue Wildebeest (about 12 of them). Their first reaction was to charge, mine was to pee in my pants. I got through the fence ASAP (big hole underneath) and they stopped short, snorted a little and ran off.
    Last edited by Toxxyc; 17-12-2013 at 07:50. Reason: Blue, not Black

Banned

As a kid I was awoken one night by my father who had gone fishing with his mates. I was about 6 at time and Dad was young still. In short he got a bit on his ear with his mates. Came home with a Boerbok lamb and a lot of love for his two boys. So yea we raised it for like two tears and WE LOVED IT. As it grew it started butting everyone - in the end visitors and we got hurt. The ram was put on a friends Small holding and my brother and I grew away from it eventually. 20 yrs later I saw a friendly old ram on a trailer and - I dunno what got into me, I climbed on the trailer and made friends with the goat. Scratched and fed it. When I moved away to leave, it knocked me of my feet and then just kept nailing me. I had no breaks and little blood, but I looked like I had been hung in a tree and beat for a few hrs. It must have given me one bruise for every 8" of body area. Whole thing took less than 40 seconds but it was so strong and SO SO HARD, there is no give in that bone - horn and steel like muscle. It was a real wake up call on how weak I am in comparison to a animal. The farmer said when I expressed my surprise at the friendly old goats actions that I would have been more surprised had it got me in a open field. Left a permanent mark in my memory of just how false our sense of power over animals is. So ya a goatee f"d me up solid and proper.

User

I once spend time on a NCape game farm with a visiting German biologist. When we spotted Black Wildebeest he mentioned that the German zoo he was employed at do not keep them anymore as they are highly aggressive in that setup, and there have been some fatalities that he was aware of.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast