Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Silencers and accuracy

Seems that opinnions vary about this question. Does silencers influence accuracy?

I have spent a lot of time developing loads for my 22-250 that will stay inside 5mm if I do my part. The question is whether ataching a silencer will influence the barrel harmonics to such a degree that I will have to do load development again? As I use the 22-250 for varmint control a bit of silence seems the way to go, but not at the cost of accuracy and load development.

Two gunsmith had two different opinions - what now?

Default Re: Silencers and accuracy

My 2c

I know that my POI changes when I remove the silencer. I Have not noticed tighter groups etc with my silencer on, compared to it being off.

Using a Ruger 10/22 .22lr
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Barrel harmonics will be influenced. Think of a tuning fork, different lengths giving different pitch reverberances.
    With a 22 Centrefire with a relatively light bullet and a heavy contour barrel, the difference will be less that say with a heavy calibre going down a light contour barrel, but there will be a difference. It might just require a seating depth adjustment to get to the new sweet spot. Doubt if you will get the same impact point with & without the sound moderator.
    A big influence would be how well the moderator is made and how it squares up to the crown of the barrel so that the bullet passes through the centre of the moderator aperture. With time, the baffles will build up some fouling, which would allso play a role, so clean it regularly.

Remember the BOSS system?, It was basically a counter weight at the muzzle which you adjust to optimise accuracy with different bullet weights. Seen some rubber doodaas which one fits onto the barrel and you can move around for same effect.

User

With a bolt action .22LR I use the POI definitely changes. So much that I would have to choose if the suppressor stays on or off and re-zero accordingly. Still not so far off you wont hit what you are aiming at, but way too much for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter
    With a bolt action .22LR I use the POI definitely changes. So much that I would have to choose if the suppressor stays on or off and re-zero accordingly. Still not so far off you wont hit what you are aiming at, but way too much for my liking.

Mine goes way off, If a recall i cant even hit the target stand.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Most likely cause for such a deviation is bad sound moderator alignment with barrel.

User

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST
    Most likely cause for such a deviation is bad sound moderator alignment with barrel.
    No it is not so on my rifle and 2 others I have personal experience with.

I have a Ase Utra Northstar on my Steyr Elite 308.

I doubt that there are better suppressors with better machining and better spigot design available.

My Steyr can shoot 0.5moa with handloads and that does not change with the AU mounted.

The rifle is zeroed with the AU and shooting without the AU the poi changes to 6" high and 1" left.

The threading and shoulder was done by Danie Joubert (Custom Gunsmith) who has fitted several of the AU's on rifles - he does exact work and does not cut the thread by hand.

We have had the same poi experience with AU on a Steyr Pro Hunter HB in 308 and 300WM

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot
    Seems that opinnions vary about this question. Does silencers influence accuracy?

I have spent a lot of time developing loads for my 22-250 that will stay inside 5mm if I do my part. The question is whether ataching a silencer will influence the barrel harmonics to such a degree that I will have to do load development again? As I use the 22-250 for varmint control a bit of silence seems the way to go, but not at the cost of accuracy and load development.

Two gunsmith had two different opinions - what now?
    If you are serious about using the suppressor

1) buy a good one and be done with it. There is a reason why the very good suppressors cost more than the run of the mill "silencers" you will find around.

2) know that you will have to re-zero if you take the suppressor off when the rifle was zeroed with the suppressor installed

3) get a very good gunsmith (who is not going to try and do the threading by hand) to thread the barrel.

The AU suppressor really works (do a search for my thread on the subject) and it act as a very good compensator without the noise of a muzzle brake.

User

Khumba, you have a very nice, well made suppressor, of which the thread was not cut by hand, as you point out. Cant argue with quality. I was referring to the post where camouflage762 states this his impact point is not even on target. (sorry, should have quoted the piece)
    I have seen some suppressors where the workmanship was in question, especially with regards to the thread cutting and the abutment not being cut square so that when the suppressor is screwed on tight it was out of alignment.
    As you say, buy a well made suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST
    Khumba, you have a very nice, well made suppressor, of which the thread was not cut by hand, as you point out. Cant argue with quality. I was referring to the post where camouflage762 states this his impact point is not even on target. (sorry, should have quoted the piece)
    I have seen some suppressors where the workmanship was in question, especially with regards to the thread cutting and the abutment not being cut square so that when the suppressor is screwed on tight it was out of alignment.
    As you say, buy a well made suppressor.
    Soooooooooooooo
    I have a cheap silencer with skeef threads....

Cut me deep bro, very deep.... :'(

;)

User

If the thread fits , bro... or not? ;D ;D ( Note: gotta stop digging the hole..)
    But seriously, have you checked the alignment of your suppressor? Sometimes one can actually see the misalignment when you look down the bore from the chamber side.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast