Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Long range hunting

Gertjie, that is exactly why I'm not pushing the ethics thing hard, don't want to derail the thread.

You may also notice I'm the only person so far who mentioned a possible venue for him.

User

Wow, so much for a simple answer.

I'm interested in 500m plus distances.

I absolutely do NOT want to get into the debate over hunting ethics. You could argue that blowing a Talibani's head off at 2000m is murder and not warfare and that you should give him a sporting chance to shoot back at you from a closer distance since he has a less accurate or powerful weapon.

At any rate, i think that going on a hunt has very little to do with actually killing an animal.

User

I think it's only military ranges that go out past 500m. Other long range speciality forums might have the answer

User

I want to do the same with my 338 Lapua this year......I'm thinking long range gemsbok or kudu.
    it's all relative. when I stalked a warthog to 27m and shot it with a bow, it felt like hunting.
    when I walked to 167m and shot a blesbok with a rifle......it felt like shooting.

User

Just to add my 2c worth, I have thought about this quite a lot. Quite frankly shooting an animal at 500m+ is probably less stressful for all animals involved as the target animal is dead before it even knows its being pursued.
    As far as places to do it, if a farm allows hunting they should allow LR too, but discuss it with the owner first as some people won't be easily convinced that it is possible. If it was my property I would require you to show me you can actually shoot at that distance. If it was me I would phone around a few places especially places you have been hunting before.
    .338LM is on my to get list for just such hunting/shooting.

User

Long range means different hings to different people. Generally if you are out of the point blank range for that firearm I consider it "long range". So you need to adjust your scope or aim high or somehow compensate for distance.

There are few places where you can really hunt at 500m and even fewer where it is necessary.

Hunting Vaal Rhebuck in the mountains of the Western Cape may get you some long shooting and a proper challenge as you will hunt on foot and not off a vehicle. Some areas of the Eastern Cape will get you the same.

Even in the Kalahari you will seldom need to shoot that far. Flatter areas like the Free State may provide long shots if you are happy to use a vehicle as an elevated platform.

My only comment on ethics is to take no shot at an animal longer than you have ever shot at a target and that when taking the shot you should intend to be successful. If a shot is to be taken and you are unsure of a killing shot then in my opinion you should not be taking it. Accordingly you need to have practiced at the distance you are shooting. In my opinion there is no room for Hail Mary type attempts in hunting.

User

volunteer for counter pouching operations? should be a constant influx of "prey" for your badboy ;)

User

Hunting in the Southern Areas of Namibia may also be rewarding with regards to long distance hunting....especially those farms where you can see tomorrow breaking the horizon.
    Can easily get shots on Oryx well over 500meter away - then again you will need the "bakkie" to reach them.
    It might however be an interesting exercise going though the Namibian customs and police at Noordoewer explaining the 338.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    volunteer for counter pouching operations? should be a constant influx of "prey" for your badboy ;)
    LOL - give them a sporting chance and have them run out to the 1000m mark.....

Can you shoot big5 with a 338LM, just asking?
    MOLON LABE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast