Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Star 30M

Default Star 30M

Dear All

Please could you give me your opinions about the Star 30M for use in IPSC/IDPA disciplines. confused0083

Regards

User

Default Re: Star 30M

It will do alright as a starter IDPA gun. It you aren't shooting and you have a 30M get cracking.

I wouldn't buy one for the sport though.

I beg to disagree...

The Star 30M has all the characteristics of a good gun to shoot in IDPA's SSP division.

It's heavy (~1.2kg empty) which means one will experience lesser felt recoil even with over-driven ammunition.

Star 30M features double action trigger with slide mounted ambidextrous safety that locks firing ping only, leaving trigger and hammer unaffected in "safety on" position, thus allowing the gun to be "dry fired", another nice feature for a beginner shooter, one that typically has problem with "jerking" the trigger and the "dry fire" exercise is universally accepted as the easiest cure for that.

The standard 15 round magazine, same count as in GLOCK 19, allow IDPA shooter to load to max capacity of 10rd (11rd first mag), hence not imposing any disadvantage.

Reportedly, Star 30M is reliable and accurate, in all aspects matching any of the other service pistols out there.

User

Until you need spares that is.

Once again not a bad gun but not a first tier choice eg Glock Sig H&K or M&P

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

take some heavy shooting to make a sound 30M break.
    its a gun with 30 000 round recorded , no breakage no major clean up
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

The Star 30M is a well built and reliable gun, it was Spain's entry for the US Armed Forces handgun trials that were ultimately won by the Beretta M9 although the 30M did not fare too bad in the trials, it was also the 30M and its development cost that caused the downfall of the Star company.
    The 30M was built according to US mil-spec requirements and the gun should stand up to a good amount of use. The 30M is one of the few Star pistols that can withstand dry firing. Like most firearms/equipment if you take care of it, it should take care of you.
    I agree with BigT, not my first choice of handgun either, but it would be more than capable to be pushed into service, if it is the only handgun you own.
    For part requirements you can try Numrich Gunparts in the USA, although some parts are regulated and a real issue to obtain.

I have nothing against Star but I wouldn't buy a 30M for sport shooting. They have an issue with their barrels cracking around the circumference, just ahead of the chamber area. All other spares may be obtainable but how many replacement barrels will you get in SA without the lcensing issues coming up?

AND, before anyone asks for facts on this, give me a PM and I'll put you in contact with 3 guys at my local club who have experieneced this issue 1st hand - now they've got other guns.

User

I used the Model 28 Star for many years whilst shooting practical pistol. At the time I was shooting the pistol every weekend and it never failed. It was a pistol that cleared leather quickly and was superb on the shorter distances. If you already own the Star pistol, use it and at a later stage you may upgrade to another pistol of your choice.
    PS. The Star is still in use, how ever with a new owner.

User

I am looking at getting a few stars as well, especially the 30M. I was never very interested in the 30M until I read a rave review by Dean Grenell on the 28M and 30M. If you take a long look at this gun you can see its origins. It is basically a copy of the SIG210, widely regarded as the best autoloading pistol around. The only difference is the placement of the safety catch.

About the barrel cracking, a Vector SP1 did the same thing at the steel challenge. Apparently the third barrel to do this in that particular gun. All guns have faults, some more than others; Barretta 92s, Glocks, CZs all have particular problems.

The only problem I have with the Star pistols is that they represent a prevous generation of handgun design, i.e. all steel and full of levers.

User

The 30M has about as much in common with a Sig P210 as I do with Brad Pitt. In case your still not sure very very little.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast