Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30

Thread: HELD UP

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Thanks for the update!

Is the one bullet still in your thigh? No need for removal?
    Yes still tucked firmly in my upper thigh. Surgeon said the risk of trying to remove it and damaging a nerve or vessel was an issue and I should leave it in there for now. according to him it should push out on its own until just under the skin as I heal thereafter a small cut will be made to remove it any truth to this?

User

Default Re: HELD UP

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nuffsaid View Post
    Yes still tucked firmly in my upper thigh. Surgeon said the risk of trying to remove it and damaging a nerve or vessel was an issue and I should leave it in there for now. according to him it should push out on its own until just under the skin as I heal thereafter a small cut will be made to remove it any truth to this?
    Gee that is hectic!

Hmmm won't the wound just close up over and around it? Unless it works like a splinter that sometimes gets worked out..

User

yes there are options but that is how it often gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Medic View Post
    yes there are options but that is how it often gets done.
    Hi mr medic any long term problems I should worry about? Other than pain on cold days or pain after running or up and downing on a ladder? How true is the bullet pushing out on its own story or the time frame in which this will happen?

User

Glad youre feeling better. Best of luck with the one still in your thigh

SAS

User

Hi mr medic any long term problems I should worry about? Other than pain on cold days or pain after running or up and downing on a ladder? How true is the bullet pushing out on its own story or the time frame in which this will happen?
    Basically the skin and tissue will grow over and scar up, the body will try "bring" the bullet up to the surface but I highly doubt it will ever just pop out lol that would mean breaking through the skin again. Long term problems are difficult to say, I'm hesitant to make you stress when I could be wrong, your best bet is to seek a second opinion with either a general surgeon or an orthopaedic if the bullet hit bone.

Cold days will suck, they do for me (leg has an internal fixation, knee been re-done from a heli mishap, both long stories) but you will get used to it, physical training is important I found that physio was a big help and I spent alot of time doing water training after my injury.

Thanks for the advice and sharing your injuries too MR medic i now feel as tho my injury is a paper cut compared to yours lol .will definitely get a second opinion

Thank you as well for the well wishes SAS

User

sa shooter: we are all doing well thank you for the concern. I must mention tho that the one still lodged in my upper thigh is bothersome on cold days. I wonder if its something other guys that have been shot also get from time to time?
    1911NS I know what you're going through! Mine was a through-and-through. The round entered my lower right back and exited my left hip. (Yup, quite a strange trajectory). No organs damaged, but nerves were severed and a lot of shrapnel or pieces of the round stayed behind. Yes, your body does reject and try to work it out naturally. In my case, I was pulling the pieces from my skin, much like splinters. You can't recognise the pieces as lead or copper, because, your body seems to put a coating around it as it moves through the path outwards. I still have a few bigger pieces inside me that probably wont come out. The problem with that is that these pieces seem to cause irritation and cause inflammation from time and winters are a Bitch. Remember that there is nerve and tissue damage and this will take long to heal. It took me a long time before I could walk properly and I still struggle on cold days. My leg would sometimes just give in under me when I tried to walk too fast. But it's ok now.
    Unfortunately its going to stick with you for in some way or other. Most days will be good as if nothing happened and then once in a while it will be worse.
    Good Luck!

User

They say that the bullet will move to the surface, but I doubt it. I took shrapnel from a POMZ AP and a small (5mm) piece was lodged in my forearm. 20+ years later the shrapnel had disappeared, could not see it on the x-rays anymore. Maybe yours will come out or your body is going to get extra iron and you do not have to eat a lot of spinach anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Castos View Post
    They say that the bullet will move to the surface, but I doubt it. I took shrapnel from a POMZ AP and a small (5mm) piece was lodged in my forearm. 20+ years later the shrapnel had disappeared, could not see it on the x-rays anymore. Maybe yours will come out or your body is going to get extra iron and you do not have to eat a lot of spinach anymore
    lol yes castos no need for iron supplements or the like anymore I think I now have more than enuff to last a lifetime [

Quote Originally Posted by Hein R View Post
    1911NS I know what you're going through! Mine was a through-and-through. The round entered my lower right back and exited my left hip. (Yup, quite a strange trajectory). No organs damaged, but nerves were severed and a lot of shrapnel or pieces of the round stayed behind. Yes, your body does reject and try to work it out naturally. In my case, I was pulling the pieces from my skin, much like splinters. You can't recognise the pieces as lead or copper, because, your body seems to put a coating around it as it moves through the path outwards. I still have a few bigger pieces inside me that probably wont come out. The problem with that is that these pieces seem to cause irritation and cause inflammation from time and winters are a Bitch. Remember that there is nerve and tissue damage and this will take long to heal. It took me a long time before I could walk properly and I still struggle on cold days. My leg would sometimes just give in under me when I tried to walk too fast. But it's ok now.
    Unfortunately its going to stick with you for in some way or other. Most days will be good as if nothing happened and then once in a while it will be worse.
    Good Luck!
    thank you for sharing hein I guess im starting to get to terms or rather understanding that its sumthing one has to live with and just be gratefull that a little pain here and there is nothing but a small price compared to the pain our loved ones would feel if we were not around

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30