Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default PCP Gas gun as Training

Hello guys and gals

I wanted to get your opinions on something.
    I am waiting for approval on my EDC weapon (CZPO7 Duty)
    Now is it worth wile getting an exact replica gas gun to practice some drills wile I wait like tap-rack-shoot, drawing and shooting at paper targets without aiming, practicing muzzle safety or maybe to find a suitable hostler and identify the best carry position for myself and so on. It could also maybe help getting my missis use to having a gun around the house before getting the real thing.

I know the trigger pull and so on are obviously totally different but would like to start building some muscle memory as I am planing on carrying my shooter with me 24/7 once I get it.

Can any of you give me some drills I can practice at home that would help prepare me for a real life SHTF moment.

Maybe exiting the car in the drive way and shooting at multiple paper targets. Shooting from cover or different shooting positions.

Obviously once I have my FA I will train with it as much as the bank allows me to but am I crazy for thinking the gas gun is a good practice tool for when I'm home, broke or don't have time for the range ?

Thanks guys

Default Re: PCP Gas gun as Training

A very good training tool. The "shoot without aiming" is not really advised, if you are able to use your sights, then do so. Eventually you get to a standard where you can pretty much point your gun at a target and run the trigger, but I still prefer getting a sight picture.

Thing is just that an airgun is not exactly legal to shoot in a built-up area.

User

Thanks for the quick reply Skaaphaas
    I do live in a secluded area with felt almost right around my house what defines a built up area? I understand aiming using your sights are ideal but would like to get to the point where it's more of a natural reaction to hit a target fast and accurate. without taking the extra precious second to aim perfectly for a bulls eye.

Where can one safely train with the replica then any suggestions? I have a moerse yard and my nearest neighbor wants to join my idea since we did our competency together and both waiting on licenses. Maybe we could practice shooting wile moving and communication. Are there any air soft guys on here that can make a suggestion?

Once I have my license I'm strongly considering doing some Sas courses.

User

I wouldn't suggest training with the replica. Maybe drawing and pointing, yes, but the rest all differs. The pistol's slide is different to the BB's, so racking isn't the same. There is no recoil so shooting is misleading. Trigger is also completely different. Also, the thing makes noise. A LOT of it. I think almost the same (or even more with a full bottle) as a .22LR.

I'd recommend saving that R1,000 or so for either range ammo or reloading equipment. You don't have to wait long and if you really want to train, take that money to your local gun shop with a range, hire a Duty and shoot it there.

User

I would go for a airsoft replica instead. There are no good shooters that shoot without aiming. the trick is to get so good at aiming that you dont realise that your aiming. So rather work on getting your aim better and better. Sign up for a good training course and find some decent youtube channels to follow on different drills to practise.

User

Okay I'll retract my sentence of shooting without aiming what I meant by it was to practice with the replica till I can almost do it without realizing I'm aiming.

I do try and go to the range once a week and shoot about 100 to 150 rounds with the Real gun but don't always have the time.

Hence the point of buying the replica for temporary or superficial practice. I know it's not the real thing and by far won't shoot or operate the same but my main idea was to start building better muscle memory buy practicing to draw from under concealment and shoot fast without taking too much time for perfect aiming as suppose to when I'm at the range trying to impress myself with perfect bull shots and or grouping. I'm not a bad shot and think the PCP, BB or air soft whatever could be fun to practice with. Even a blue gun would work but it's not as realistic feeling in the hand as the replica.

It it could also maybe be used to get the lady use to a gun and Maybe it's a good start for her? As I grew up on a farm and got exposed to guns from a young age. I think the noise of the PCP could help her get used to the bang on the real gun and reduce the fear a bit?

In MO Id rather show someone how to work a BB first then move on to a real gun I've had a person barrel swipe me before and it's not so fun. think of it this way allot of us had BBs or pellet guns before we got into real guns as adults. The same subconscious training could be implemented with a girl or newbie?

Why a air soft rater then the PCP what's the difference between the two and where can one train with either?

User

You make good points. Based on that post - go for it.

PCP stands for pre-charged pneumatic, and means you use a small CO2 cylinder (in the case of most pistols) or a large diving tank (in the case of many rifles, in rifle's case charging a separate tank in the rifle) to launch the projectile. Airsoft, as I understand it, launches a lower-powered round BB-ball you can shoot people with (provided they have the needed safety equipment, mind you). I may be wrong, though.

A PCP is a Air Gun that shoots pellets, and they don't generally replicate real steel models... and they can kill things.
    Airsoft shoot a 6mm plastic ball propelled by either a spring / CO2 or 'Green Gas'/propane. Airsoft guns are pretty much all replicas of modern firearms and many are full metal and weight/feel/function just like the real deal... but they don't kill things.

I've got a WE G34 Gen4 airsoft replica with modified metal slide, Warren tactical sights, fully adjustable trigger... an exact copy of my competition gun. The version that I have has the gas system and bb's stored in a replica metal magazine, so even that is similar. Magazine release is the same and works, so is the Extended Glock Slide release... yes, even the slide works the same as the real version and locks back on an empty mag.
    It allows for practising certain things really well, and you just have to be smart about it's limitations.

I've upgraded mine to have a much stronger slide kickback (but not even close to the real thing), but it does help to pull the nose off target. It is however pretty accurate at 10m, so speed <-> accuracy training is ideal.

So with that in mind practising any sort of double tap, multiple shots, etc is a bit daft... but practising draw and a single shot on target is great... as is transitions to different targets and also move and shoot, as well as reloading drills all can help. Just remember that this is only a practice tool, and real time on range is what will count in the end.

...but at around 1c per shot, and you can practice in the garage all day long without the neighbours worrying... why the hell not !

User

I have one of the ASG PO7 Duty CO2 steel bb. Only single action unfortunatly but just keep the hammer cocked and operate with the safety. Makes a fantastic training tool and is very close to the same weight as the real one. I would recommend it

sent from my Telegraph Machine using Tapatalk stop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast