Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    User

Default Re: .458 Mannlicher-schoenauer (1956) at home

Update:
    The following procedures is in progress:

Willie is currently drawing a CAD drawing of a mold that we will take to another person/family member to cnc it out of a block of aluminium , this will enable us to cast as many bottom metal/trigger guards as we want for the next five hundred years..
    A second procedures is up and running as well:
    We are getting samples of wax filament to see if it works in Ivan`s 3D printer..we can then print these bottom metals and take it to Vest cast to hang them on a tree and cast them as well.... maybe a duplication of a process, but I like to have a plan A, B, C and D... We can then print anything we like and get it cast by Vest Cast....this is my reason for Plan B.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Update:
    The following procedures is in progress:

Willie is currently drawing a CAD drawing of a mold that we will take to another person/family member to cnc it out of a block of aluminium , this will enable us to cast as many bottom metal/trigger guards as we want for the next five hundred years..
    A second procedures is up and running as well:
    We are getting samples of wax filament to see if it works in Ivan`s 3D printer..we can then print these bottom metals and take it to Vest cast to hang them on a tree and cast them as well.... maybe a duplication of a process, but I like to have a plan A, B, C and D... We can then print anything we like and get it cast by Vest Cast....this is my reason for Plan B.
    This post was meant for the .500 thread....

User

I attended a Dangerous Game hunting course at the Big Bore of South Africa (BASA) The .458 Win Mag Mannlicher Schoenauer performed excellently ,

I used different aperture screw-inns today and I really shot accurate at 40-50 yards and as near as five yards...

The only change I will make to the .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer is to substitute the current front sight with a higher front sight and still add a warthog tusk bead..it shone brightly today, even on the back ground of the white paper plates we shoot at...the 404 Jeffery performed flawlessly as well today, I used both rifles on the course...

User

So "dead" buff and ele all over the place?

User

Von Gruff
    Shooting days and informative course we attended yesterday has great merits.

We attend the course as a club member effort to better our club member profiles, every shooting day / shooting course I attend is locked on my profile as a hunter with a Dedicated shooting status/Dedicated hunter status.

When applying for a licence ( to possess a licence for a rifle/hand gun/shotgun and semi-auto rifle) this info is then contained in a motivation you as hunter/applicant needs to write for a licence application.

I would say that this is the flaw the American country have regarding their system when it comes to ownership of rifles/guns. It is just to easy to purchase a gun/rifle.

That is why so many people is killed every year in America because no individual screening takes place when a person buy a gun/rifle...
    Another advantage about the courses we attend is that the whole family can participate in these shoots which make it a lot of fun,,...

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Von Gruff

I would say that this is the flaw the American country have regarding their system when it comes to ownership of rifles/guns. It is just to easy to purchase a gun/rifle.

That is why so many people is killed every year in America because no individual screening takes place when a person buy a gun/rifle...
    Another advantage about the courses we attend is that the whole family can participate in these shoots which make it a lot of fun,,...
    Gert, for the sake of your health: STOP DRINKING THE COOL-AID! The stuff is dangerous.

User

Yes , doctor Willie, I will adhere to your warning...

User

Here in NZ we have a licencing system that is very workable and robust. I have just gone through a licence renewal for the 10 year licence we have. It used to be a lifetime licence but was changed about 12 years ago.
    We have to have someone unrelated to be a referee who is interviewed then the home visit is for a long interview with me, which includes my reasons for wanting firearms and if for other than club activities where shooting s done on a range, ie for hunting, then the general areas and reasns for hunting. Then my storage facitilies are checked and lastly my wife is interviewed (with me out of the room or house) to ensure she is comfortable with my suitability to posess and with me having them in the house.
    That gets me an A class which entitles me to as many rifles both rim and centerfire anlong with shotguns as my finances will stand. Class B is for pistols which require better seciruty, membership of a club with regular attendance with the pistols only being able to be shot on the club range. Cass C is for collector where the firearms may only be held and are not permitted to be shot any where. Class D is for the dealers and class E is for military styed semi automatic weapons which entails even more security and special shooting conditions.
    There is a difference between semi auto rifles and military style as ordinary sa weapons are held on a class A licence but the MSSA (military styles semi auto) rifle has a seperate pistol grip and may have bayonet lug etc.
    We have a very good organisation COLFO (coalition of licenced firearms owners) who represent us at government level to keep the lefties from bringing in any of their ludicrous restriction on our ability to have a use our firearms.

User

Von Gruff, it is about what we have here as well, it seems there is a trend from government to make it more difficult for the average citizen to own a rifle.

I really would have like it if all licence holders were forced to enroll at a hunting organisation enabling the hunting club to regulate the possession /requirements to possess a weapon, instead of the government ....

I do think it is a subject needed to be taught at school level as well. Educating people in regards to the safe use of a weapon/rifle /gun is much more important than teaching learners about AID/AHV Aids....

User

That would not work Gert as not all firearms users are hunters and "forcing" non hunters to take a hunting course will only alienate parts of the gun owning fraternity. On top of that for those like me in sparsly populated areas with very few who would be interested in forming or attending club activities I think it would be a draconian step if it was to be initiated.
    We do have the mountain safety council who oversees the training of firearms safety that must be attended by all who are applying for a first time licence.
    I am not a member of any club or shooting organisation now since selling on all my pistols as the club was nearly an hour away and was often closed with no prior notice which made a costly day in both time and fuel for no result.
    Many of us are not really club oriented as finding a sufficient number of those with the same interest is just not viable. I tried to get a big bore club going but with only a handfull of replies from the whole of the country, your premise would falter at the first stages and for a cast bullet shooting club with older firearms would be even more difficult as I only know one other who lives with an hour of me.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7